New technologies and the modern battlespace: Humanitarian perspectives
The ICRC's first research and debate cycle will take place in Geneva and beyond from March to June 2014. Keep informed of upcoming events, podcasts, interviews and reference documents on this page.
Where: Geneva and elsewhere
When: 25.03.2014 - 31.08.2014 (23:00)
In recent years, a wide array of new technologies has entered the modern battlefield, giving rise to new methods and means of warfare, such as cyber attacks, armed drones and robots. While there can be no doubt that IHL applies to them, applying pre-existing legal rules to new technologies may raise the question of whether the rules are sufficiently clear in light of the new technologies' specific characteristics and foreseeable humanitarian impact.
Each of these new technologies raises a host of issues, which the first Research and Debate Cycle discusses. From March to June 2014, several public events were organized at the Humanitarium in Geneva and elsewhere, with a view to addressing the novel humanitarian, legal and ethical challenges posed by new technologies. This page compiles all podcasts, reference documents, publications and related links.
WATCH the podcasts of past events:
- March 25 - Inaugural Event: Panel Discussion on The Challenges of New Technologies in Warfare (Geneva)
- April 10 - Autonomous Weaponry and Armed Conflict (ASIL/ILA Joint Conference in Washington, DC)
- April 24 - Webinar on New Warfare Technologies - New Protection Challenges (Boston)
- May 22 - Internet in Bello: International Humanitarian Law and Cyber Operations (Geneva)
- May 27 - Soldier Enhancement: New Technologies and the Future Battlefield (Australia)
- June 24 - Webinar on Technological Innovation and Principled Humanitarian Action (Geneva)
- June 24 - Panel Discussion on the Challenges Raised by Increasingly Autonomous Technologies (Geneva)
- New technologies and warfare - International Review of the Red Cross, issue No. 886
- New technologies and IHL - Thematic page
- Cyber warfare - Thematic page
- Law and Policy Platform - ICRC's platform for training, research and debate on humanitarian law and action
- Humanitarium - The international forum for exchange and debate on humanitarian law, policy and action
- IHL and the challenges of contemporary armed conflicts - Report