Challenges to application of IHL to Afghanistan
Online live web seminar presented by the Program on Humanitarian Policy and Conflict Research at Harvard University and the International Review of the Red Cross
Where: Online live web seminar
When: 04.11.2011 - 04.11.2011
The conflict in Afghanistan is in its tenth year, and the situation continues to challenge protection efforts under international humanitarian law (IHL). While the civilian population has borne the effects of decades of conflict and instability, none of the previous conflicts have raised such direct questions regarding means and methods of implementing IHL.
This live web seminar addresses a number of issues related to protection, including:
- The role of IHL in regulating hostilities, particularly issues related to targeting, status of individuals, and the question of the geography of armed conflict.
- The current nature of detention operations in Afghanistan, and the legal framework(s) by which these operations are regulated.
- The state of humanitarian operations, the role of humanitarian actors such as the ICRC, and the challenges of access to vulnerable populations.
The seminar took place on 4 November 2011. A recording is available online.
- International Review of the Red Cross, Afghanistan I: Afghanistan, Socio-political Humanitarian Environment (December 2010).
- International Review of the Red Cross, Afghanistan II: Afghanistan, Law and Humanitarian Action (December 2010).
- Editorial to the double volume on Afghanistan of the International Review of the Red Cross (December 2010).
- Humanitarian Practice Network, Humanitarian Space in Afghanistan and Pakistan (Humanitarian Exchange Magazine) (February 2011)
- Michiel Hoffman and Sophie Delauney, Afghanistan: A Return to Humanitarian Action (Médecins Sans Frontières) (March 2010).
- Mike Schmitt, ed., The War in Afghanistan: A Legal Analysis (International Law Studies, Naval War College) (2009).
- Human Rights First, Detained and Denied in Afghanistan: How to Make US Detentions Comply with the Law (May 2011)
- Human Rights Watch, Resources on Afghanistan.
- HPCR Live Web Seminar, Humanitarianism in Afghanistan (January 2011).