Call for applications: 16th course in IHL for humanitarian professionals and policy-makers
The ICRC regional delegation in Nairobi is pleased to announce a call for applications for its 16th course in international humanitarian law (IHL) for humanitarian professionals and policy-makers, which will be held in Naivasha, Kenya from 19-24 September 2011.
Where: Nairobi, Kenya
When: 19.09.2011 - 24.09.2011
The ICRC's 16th course in IHL is designed to acquaint participants with the international rules, principles and instruments applicable in times of armed conflict. It offers participants practical knowledge in IHL, applicable in their fieldwork and their decision-making processes.
The 16th course provides in-depth instruction on the following broad themes:
- How international humanitarian law and other legal regimes are designed to protect victims during armed conflict and other forms of violence
- The relationship between IHL and other legal regimes such as human rights law, refugee law, etc.
- IHL and the conduct of hostilities; the law governing means and methods of warfare; special protection for certain categories of persons under IHL
- Ensuring respect for IHL on the part of different actors involved in armed conflict
- Challenges to humanitarian action in light of the changing nature of armed conflicts and violence.
The course provides an intensive, 5-day training in IHL and is open to senior representatives of NGOs, international organizations, state agencies and humanitarian donor agencies. Applicants should occupy positions within their respective organisations with decision-making roles at the national, regional or global level. A legal background is not required. Completed application forms should be sent to the ICRC regional delegation in Nairobi before 5 August 2011. Participants are strongly urged to send their applications by e-mail.
Application form (Word)
- The course is open to participants from any country
- The course requires a tuition payment of 850 USD, which will cover full board accommodation from 19-24 September 2011.
- Participants must make their own travel arrangement to and from Nairobi. A shuttle will be arranged to go to Naivasha.
- Space is limited to 25 participants. Applications will be accepted until 5 August 2011.
For further information, please contact:
The International Committee of the Red Cross, Department for Integration and Promotion of the Law
Nairobi Regional Delegation
P.O. Box 73226, 00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254.20.272.3963/3964 or 3965. Fax number: +254.20.271.3003