01-04-2013 Job Opportunity Ref. fd-surgeon
French and/or English speaking
The ICRC surgeon works as part of surgical teams deployed when existing facilities are unable to care for the war-wounded. He/she may also treat victims of accident and illness who require emergency surgery. The teams work either in hospitals built, equipped, supplied and managed by the ICRC, or in existing hospitals that the ICRC provides with supplies, equipment and back-up for local personnel, in some cases assisting with training.
- ideal age: 30 to 50
- prepared to accept unaccompanied posting for the duration of the assignment (minimum 3 months)
- excellent command of English and/or French
- qualified surgeon
- minimum 2 years postgraduate experience as a surgeon
- ability to independently carry out procedures such as laparotomy with intestinal resection and anastomosis, vascular sutures, skin grafts, amputations, etc.
- experience in the conservative treatment of fractures with POP, skeletal traction, external fixator, an asset
- driving licence (for manual transmission vehicles)
- valid specialist registration in their home country is a must
- strong motivation for humanitarian work
- sense of responsibility and discernment
- organizational skills
- experience in managing and running a multi-cultural team
- aptitude for and interest in supervision and training
- ability to work both independently and in a team
- willingness to work under pressure and under dangerous conditions.