Regional Legal Adviser for Integration and Promotion of the Law
18-06-2014 Job Opportunity
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), a neutral and independent humanitarian organization, and its Advisory Service on International Humanitarian Law has a vacancy at its Regional Delegation in Paris office for a resident position
Purpose of the post
Within the framework of the priorities, objectives and strategies set by the delegation and under the supervision of the Head of Mission, the Regional Legal Adviser (RLA) supports institutional and European delegations’ objectives aimed at promoting and integrating IHL and other relevant legal norms, with a view to enhancing respect thereof. She/he contributes to reinforcing the ICRC’s dialogue with national authorities with a view to facilitating the operational activities and priorities of the OP_EURASIA region and supports the framework for ICRC’s humanitarian diplomacy in the region, as well as law promotion through regional organisations and other multilateral platforms.
The post furthermore contributes to the operationalization of the delegations’ Prevention (PREV) strategies responding to identified humanitarian problems in each context.
The RLA’s primary interlocutors are national authorities. To the extent that they directly influence national authorities and the domestic implementation of the law, universities and other key institutions within civil society also form part of the RLA’s network. Using dialogue, legal advice and technical support, high level seminars and conferences (organization and / or participation in), the RLA mobilizes national authorities and relevant experts in order to engage them in contributing to the development and clarification of the law, in increasing participation in IHL treaties and improving domestic legal frameworks. She/he contributes to enhance local expertise in the law and proactively position the ICRC as a reference on IHL, and supports ICRC's cooperation relation and dialogue with regional and international organisations.
With the aim of enhancing IHL and other relevant treaty participation and generating an environment conducive to the respect of the law (IHL and where relevant IHRL), through creating the necessary conditions at domestic level, as well as positioning the institution in terms of being a reference on IHL and its implementation, and working with the Regional Delegation in Paris and other ICRC delegations in Europe, and in coordination with the relevant services at ICRC HQ, the position covers the following tasks:
- Develop, together with the other ICRC legal advisers in the region, a strong understanding of the legal and policy frameworks that determine how the covered European States position themselves towards IHL and the ICRC
- Promote the participation in IHL treaties and of the adoption of appropriate domestic implementation laws, policies and practices, as well as mechanisms;
- Support the development of domestic legal and policy frameworks for the protection of persons exposed to violence or requiring specific legal protection;
- Contribute to the general reflection and work carried out by the Institution on judicial guarantees and on the understanding of detention legal frameworks applicable to persons deprived of their liberty and followed by the ICRC
- Provide expert advice and technical assistance, in particular for the drafting of legal documents;
- Monitor and support the work of National IHL Committees and other relevant structures and mechanisms;
- Organise internal and external workshops, as well as regional peer conferences; represent the ICRC in external events
- Collect, compile and analyse laws, regulations and case law;
- Establish and maintain networks with governmental circles, academia and experts;
- Cooperate with legal staff from National Societies;
- Support the positioning of the ICRC as reference Institution for IHL;
- Support the establishment and maintenance of a framework for the ICRC’s humanitarian diplomacy in the region and the dialogue with regional organizations and international jurisdictions;
- Coach and support the work of delegations legal staff (functional supervision);
- Report (internal and external).
Upon request and where legal expertise is required, the Regional Legal Advisor may also support other matters pertaining to the law or ICRC operations.
Eduction and experience
- Degree in law (civil law trained; master degree and/or attorney at law diploma) with excellent knowledge of International Public Law, International Humanitarian Law, and International Criminal Law
- Good knowledge of domestic legal frameworks and structures (working experience in government or the judiciary, as well as experience in legislative drafting of advantage)
- Confirmed experience with organizing events
- Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Professional experience in the legal domain
- ICRC field experience, including in a similar position (in the field or at HQ)
- Experience in scientific work and academic training
- Excellent knowledge of French and English, including legal drafting skills; knowledge of other languages spoken in Europe an asset
- Effective and clear communication and excellent analytical skills
- Representation skills, sense of diplomacy.
- Possessing excellent interpersonal and networking skills; capacity to work as part of a team
- Autonomy and motivation, with sense of responsibility; capable to motivate and influence
- Capacity to coach and supervise legal work
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, result-oriented and capacity to deliver.
- Capable of thinking strategically and creatively
- Flexible and willing to travel frequently
How to apply
Persons interested in this vacancy should send their application to Sybille Bernard:email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 25 June 2014
Contract: Open ended contract (CDI)
Starting date: Mid-September
Only short listed candidate will be contacted. Salary will be based on Paris salary scale