Democratic Republic of the Congo: Access to the stuff of life
12-09-2003 News Release 03/106
The ICRC inaugurated a water-supply system on 10 September in Uvira, South Kivu province, after two years of work to improve the water supply for 15,000 people.
The gravity-fed system serving Uvira’s Kalundu neighborhood dates from 1958. In 1991 it broke down following a major landslide south of the city. Since then, residents have been without running water and have had to draw supplies from Lake Tanganyika or the Kalimabenge River.
The ICRC worked with a specialized company (Coopération hydraulique rurale) and the Congolese water authority, Regideso, to build a new gravity-fed system. The work involved finding and connecting two springs and laying and joining 3.4 kilometres of galvanized steel pipe to bring the water to Uvira and a further 2,500 metres of pipe for the distribution network. The project’s final phase was the construction of five pressure-break tanks and a holding tank with a capacity of 120 cubic metres.
The inauguration ceremony was attended by representatives of the ICRC’s two partners and the civic authorities.
Elizabeth Twinch, head of mission, tel. ++250 08 30 04 61
Alec Guichard, deputy head of mission, tel. ++250 08 30 04 51