Facts and figures
27-03-2012 Facts and Figures
In 2011, the ICRC
- took preventive mine action in 27 countries or contexts;
- destroyed or made safe over 3,500 items of ordnance in Libya (and has destroyed a further 3000 so far in 2012);
- destroyed some 1,600 items of unexploded ordnance (UXO) in 26 communities in southern Iraq;
- carried out 194 safe behaviour and victims’ rights activities with local authorities and communities at risk in Colombia, benefiting a total of 4,483 people;
- continued to include weapon contamination issues and requirements in its cooperation with National Societies in the fields of economic security, health, protection, staff safety and water and habitat.