Position: Legal Adviser (Academic Circles)
Job Type: Short-term contract, full-time
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC Regional Delegation for East Asia covers China, Republic of Korea, DPRK and Mongolia. The delegation's main task is to promote awareness and implementation of international humanitarian law, the legal framework that seeks to minimize human suffering caused by war. The delegation also aims to familiarize governments, experts, National Red Cross Societies and civil society with the ICRC's humanitarian work and emergency response around the world.
Purpose of the Position:
Under the supervision of the Regional Legal Adviser, the Legal Adviser supports institutional and delegation's objectives aimed at promoting teaching and research of international humanitarian law (IHL) in Chinese higher-education institutions.
Your Main Tasks:
- Contributing to the establishment and implementation of strategies, programs and plans aimed promoting IHL in Chinese academic circles;
- Promoting the teaching of and research in international humanitarian law in academic institutions, through the organization of events (seminars, workshops, etc.), providing advice on curricula, facilitating access to reference material (including revision of translations) and presenting lectures;
- Organising and conducting national moot courts and the Hong Kong regional moot court competition;
- Developing & maintaining a network of academic institutions, scholars & researchers working in the field;
- Supporting and assisting of departments of the Delegation in the field of dissemination of IHL; and,
- Acting as a resource person for legal expertise to the Delegation, particularly in matters of international humanitarian law, and relevant domestic law issues.
- Masters degree in Law, with a focus on international law
- Good knowledge of international law in the humanitarian field, and of Chinese domestic law
- Two years' experience in working with government bodies, armed forces, academic institutions or organizations dealing with international law issues
- Good relational skills to establish contacts with scholars and researchers
- Excellent presentation skills and at ease with public speaking
- Ability to work as part of a team but also to work independently
- Computer literate and fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Willingness to travel a few days every one to two months
- Capable of performing multiple tasks in a variety of activities
What we offer:
- An opportunity to practise your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Competitive remuneration package and generous social benefits
- Friendly and fair working environment
- Possibility to develop your knowledge and experience in IHL and other international law disciplines
Anyone who is interested in this position please submit your cover letter and resume in both Chinese and English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is October 10, 2017.