• Location : Beijing
• Type of contract : Fixed-term
• Type of position: Resident
• Length of assignment : 2 years, extendable
• Estimated start date : ASAP
• Application deadline : 7 May 2018
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The ICRC Regional Delegation for East Asia covers China, DPRK, South Korea, and Mongolia. The delegation's main task is to promote awareness and implementation of international humanitarian law, the legal framework that seeks to minimize human suffering caused by war. The delegation also aims to familiarize governments, experts, national Red Cross societies and civil society with the ICRC's humanitarian work and emergency response around the world.
The Humanitarian Affairs Adviser provides significant support to the delegation in understanding and influencing the wider humanitarian environment in the given context. S/He maintains a broad range of contacts related to humanitarian diplomacy in China, under the supervision of the delegation's management. S/he also provides analysis and reporting on relevant policy developments in China and in the region.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Undertaking formal and informal interactions with Chinese authorities and think tanks with a view to better understand thinking and policies on humanitarian problem/concerns in China;
- Reporting and analyzing on policy issues of concern for the ICRC and China, as required.
- Formulating suggestions on approaches to be adopted by the Delegation to increase the understanding, trust and acceptance of the ICRC in China.
- Acting as the delegation's relay for regional or institutional issues / actions coordinated by the Regional Advisor in Jakarta;
- To follow and analyze of the reform/development of Chinese foreign aid and philanthropy and propose on the approach to be adopted by the ICRC to integrate its humanitarian actions into those reforms and developments;
- Supports holistic market fundraising strategy and engagement with government and National Society stakeholders on fundraising strategy and/or opportunities.
- Developing concepts and content for fundraising events, represents ICRC at such events.
- To explore the way of expanding financial resources for ICRC operations in China.
Desired profile and skills
- Bachelor or master degree in international relations/politics/Economics/Business
- 1-3 year work experience in a similar field
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Mandarin
- Very good analytical and writing skills
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills
- Confirmed capacity to analyze the political and social environment
What we offer:
- An opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Competitive remuneration package and generous social benefits
- Friendly and fair working environment
For further details, please send your inquires to email@example.com.