Position: Legal Adviser (IHL Implementation)
Job Type: Full Time
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC Regional Delegation for East Asia covers China, DPRK, South Korea, and Mongolia. The delegation's main task is to promote awareness and implementation of international humanitarian law, the legal framework that seeks to minimize human suffering caused by war. The delegation also aims to familiarize governments, experts, National Red Cross Societies and civil society with the ICRC's humanitarian work and emergency response around the world.
Purpose of the Position:
Under the supervision of the Head of Legal Department of the Regional Delegation for East Asia, the Legal Adviser supports the ICRC and Delegation's objectives aimed at promoting and implementing international humanitarian law (IHL) and other relevant legal norms in national domestic law, and facilitates the delegation's activities related to the dissemination and development of IHL in China. He/she monitors the integration of IHL norms in domestic law and the development of domestic law in areas within the scope of ICRC's mandate and activities, and facilitates contacts and relations with national authorities at the technical level, as well as with legal experts from other relevant national organizations and institutions.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Monitors and advises the Regional Delegation on IHL and related domestic legal matters within the scope of the Regional Delegation's work, in particular in relation to the ratification and implementation of relevant IHL treaties, legal basis for National Red Cross Societies and emblem protection laws, including drafting/commenting on legislation and providing technical assistance on IHL implementation.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Legal Department, liaises with governments and appropriate authorities as well as think tanks of the Delegation's areas of operations in relation to IHL issues of particular concern to ICRC.
- Supports the Legal Department's activities with academic circles throughout the region and provide support (including delivering presentations) on matters relating to IHL and the mandate of the ICRC.
- Supports and advises Red Cross National Societies on relevant issues relating to IHL, including the legal basis of National Red Cross Societies.
- Delivers presentations on IHL and other humanitarian issues of particular concern to ICRC to a wide range of audiences, including governmental officials, think tanks, other components of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, academic circles, students, and the general public.
- Where required provides legal advice to the Regional Delegation on matters of domestic law.
- Contributes to the annual budget and planning exercise for the Regional Delegation.
- Master degree in Law, with a focus on international law.
- Fluent command of English (written and spoken).
- Computer proficiency.
Professional Experience Required
- Good knowledge of international law preferably in the humanitarian field, and of Chinese domestic law;
- 3-5 years' experience in working with government bodies, armed forces, academic institutions or organizations dealing with international law issues;
- Good networking skills to establish contacts with public authorities;
- Excellent presentation skills and at ease with public speaking;
- Ability to work as part of a team but also to work independently;
- Willingness to travel a few days in every one to two months; and
- Capable of performing multi-tasks in various activities.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to practise your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Competitive remuneration package and generous social benefits
- Friendly and fair working environment
- Strengthen your knowledge, skills and experience in international policy and humanitarian affairs/diplomacy
Anyone who is interested in this position please submit your cover letter and resume in both Chinese and English to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is January 31, 2018.