The Global Protection Affairs Unit (Prot Glob) acts as a focal point for protection issues related to global counter-terrorism measures. The Unit supports ICRC delegations to develop their protection strategies by sharing experiences and tools tested in contexts such as Iraq and Afghanistan, by analysing current trends in counter-terrorism measures, and by developing the ICRC's protection programs in accordance with those trends.
The post holder's tasks are to support and contribute to the Unit's analytical and advisory roles. S/he will assist directly on specific files (particularly support to former Guantanamo Bay detainees) and will be expected to communicate with various field delegations to assist them with their work.
S/he will take part in the research and development of the Unit's projects on issues stemming from counter-terrorism by carrying out information collection, synthesis, and summarization. S/he will also take part in the creation and maintenance of information sharing tools.
The post holder will lastly be responsible for the administration within the Unit. S/he will organise and maintain electronic and paper records. S/he will also take part in planning and organising the Unit's meetings and workshops, in coordination with other Units.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The post holder will provide general organisational, research, and administrative support and will be responsible for:
- Providing consistent operational support to the field delegations that provide assistance to former Guantanamo Bay detainees (repatriations, family visits, family reunifications, medical and mental health care), ensuring that the delegations are proactive and act in accordance with organisational objectives and guidelines
- In collaboration with the Data Administrator, updating and maintaining centralised information (individual files and general summaries) and contributing to the analysis of this information in order to assess the programme objectives
- Compiling feedback from various teams at ICRC HQ and field delegations, as well as contributing to updating guidelines as necessary
Global protection issues:
- Conducting research on humanitarian issues stemming from global counter-terrorism activities, including contributing to the unit's information management tools, research synthesis and data entry
- Contribute to the improvement of ICRC protection programs in accordance with identified trends in global counter-terrorism activities
Organisational and administrative support:
- General administrative duties such as filing, post and photocopying
- Organising meetings and workshops (invitations, logistics, reporting etc.)
Position in the hierarchy
The post holder will report to the Head of the Global Protection Affairs Unit who in turn reports to the Head of Protection Division. S/he will work closely with the Head of Unit as well as colleagues in field delegations and in the Protection, Legal, Armed Forces, and Communication Divisions at HQ.
Required skills and experience
- Interest in Protection issues and knowledge in operations and strategies used for Global Counter Terrorism measures
- Degree in Law, Political Science or related field
- Fluent written and spoken English, native speaker an advantage
- Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset
- Excellent research, analysis and synthesis skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and with colleagues at a distance
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Experience within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement an advantage
Position length: 12 months
Beginning of assignment: 12th June 2017
If this post interests you and you meet the requirements set out above, please submit your application (letter of motivation and CV), to email@example.com(Attn. Thomas Vertege)
until 30.04.2017 at 23:59. Please indicate in the subject line of your email: Application Traineeship – Global Protection Affairs Unit – [your first and last name]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews. Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews may be conducted by phone.
*** Please indicate in your application if you have or are applying to other positions within the ICRC. Please note that this will not have an outcome on the selection process and is purely administrative for coordination purposes.