War in cities: an African perspective
About the event
As part of its Conference Cycle on War in cities, the ICRC in Kigali convenes a regional panel of experts on 26 June at the Kigali Convention Centre. Focusing on East Africa, this public conference will take stock of past urban armed conflicts, reflect on their drivers and humanitarian implications and explore operational and policy responses adapted to the needs of people affected by such conflicts.
The conference will be livestreamed on this page and followed by a cocktail reception.
The growing phenomenon of urbanization of the global population but also of armed conflicts and therefore of humanitarian action, is a worldwide concern posing serious legal, military and humanitarian challenges. While the most intensive urban combats in recent years have been taking place mainly in the Middle East, the African continent has also experienced a shift from rural to urban armed conflicts, a trend that is likely to last in view of the growing urbanization.
With a special focus on East Africa, this event will bring together regional experts from the humanitarian, military, diplomatic and academic communities to share their point of views and experiences on the issue of urban armed conflicts. What have we learned from past urban conflicts and violence, such as in South Sudan, Nigeria or Central African Republic? What have been the implications of these urban conflicts on humanitarian action and policy efforts in the region? How can key international and local actors work together and adopt a multi-disciplinary approach to improve the conditions of the civilian population?
- Joëlle Germanier, Outreach advisor, ICRC
- Pascal Cuttat, Head of Delegation, ICRC
- Alice Karekezi, Researcher and Lecturer, Centre for Conflict Management of the University of Rwanda
- Adama Dieng, UN Secretary-General's Special Adviser for the Prevention of Genocide
- Jean-Paul Kimonyo, Rwanda - Expert on conflict and post-conflict reconstruction; Senior Advisor on NEPAD Office of the President, Rwanda
- Colonel Jill Rutaremara, Director, Rwanda Peace Academy
- Julien Le Sourd, Urban Water Advisor, ICRC Nairobi, Kenya
Date & Time
26 June 2017 15:00 - 17:00