Who are we?
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is an independent, impartial and neutral humanitarian organization whose exclusive mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC undertakes humanitarian activities in various regions of the country and promotes international humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The ICRC is looking for an Advisor to the Management to be based in its Yangon office. As a member of the Senior Management Team the employee will contribute substantively to the positioning of the ICRC in Myanmar, with a specific focus on advising on maintaining and extending a constructive relationships with key stakeholders. The employee will advise the Senior Management Team on the strategic development of the ICRC focusing on ensuring its networks, liaison and advocacy strategies support and promote the work of the ICRC in Myanmar. The employee is responsible overseeing the ICRC's liaison office in Nay Pyi Taw.
Start date: as soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
- You will maintain and extend the existing network of ICRC key stakeholders in the government, opposition, civil society organizations, religious circles, etc. to ensure the acceptance of the ICRC's operations in Myanmar.
- You will advise on protocol issues and represent the delegation at official functions.
- As part of your duties, you will contribute to the development and implementation of strategies addressing the operations of the ICRC in Myanmar as well as ensuring a long-lasting, effective and efficient relationship with identified stakeholders.
- You will promote the image and operations of the ICRC for senior government officials and diplomats and arrange meetings with external contacts and monitor & participate in networking events that can enhance the operations of the ICRC.
- You will support and contribute the translation of official documents and publications from English to Myanmar and from Myanmar to English as well as prepare minutes of meetings.
- You will contribute to the production of background policy or reporting papers such as the annual planning report.
- Furthermore, you will advise the Senior Management Team, the delegation as well as colleagues on culturally appropriate ways engaging with interlocutors.
To be successful as the Advisor to the Management, you should possess the following qualifications and experiences and have the following characteristics:
- 8 years of work experience in a similar position.
- Previous ICRC experience or experiences in an international organization is a strong asset.
- Confirmed teaching and dissemination experience.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Master degree in Law, Political Science, International Affairs, Business Administration, or equivalent studies.
- Your communication and negotiation skills should be excellent and you should be fluent in written and spoken English as well as Myanmar language. Any additional language or dialect spoken in Myanmar would be an asset.
We expect you to have the ability to work autonomously and with different groups, partners and nationalities. You should also be self-motivated with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles. You should be flexible, enthusiastic and have the willingness to learn from others. You should also be able to work independently, as well as effectively under limited supervision. You should feel confident in managing projects and coordinating with various partners and counterparts. You should the proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines. You should be able to exercise discretion and have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
The position will be based in Yangon with frequent travel to other ICRC offices in the country as directed. You should be willing to relocate to Yangon.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of ethnicity, race, gender, disability or age.
What we offer
We offer an employment contract of 12 months with the possibility of extension. We offer a fair compensation package including, for example, medical coverage and transportation allowances. Furthermore, we provide various training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of the services provided to our beneficiaries as well as to support our staff members' professional and personal development.
Need further information?
For more information about the position, you are most welcome to contact our HR Assistant – Recruitment & Selection, Ei Ei Nyein, at email@example.com. For general information about the ICRC, please consult www.icrc.org.
Yes? Then apply!
Please submit your application in one email not exceeding 5MB via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your applications should include an updated CV and a cover letter expressing your motivation working with the ICRC and in the vacant position, both in English language. Your application should include contact details of three professional referees minimum, as well as your salary expectations.
*Please indicate the Reference Number MAN_YAN_2017001 in the email subject.
You can also submit your application via mail to:
ICRC - Human Resources Department
No.2(C)-5, Kaba Aye Pagoda Road
8th Mile, Mayangone Township
Please send your application no later than 10 August 2017. Interviews are expected to take place within 2 weeks days after the application closing date. Due to the urgency of the position, the ICRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.