Vacant position: Health Field Officer
Type of contract: Resident Staff, Fixed-Term, 17 months (extendable)
Place of work: Tehran, with frequent missions to Mashhad
Established in 1863, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) operates worldwide, helping people affected by conflict and armed violence and promoting the laws that protect victims of war. An independent and neutral organization, its mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We are based in Geneva, Switzerland, and employ some 16,000 people in more than 80 countries. The ICRC is funded mainly by voluntary donations from governments and from National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
In Iran, the ICRC promotes International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and works with the authorities in Iran and Iraq to address the consequences of the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq war, particularly the issue of missing persons. We work with the Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS) and maintain a logistics capacity to support ICRC operations in the region.
The Assistance and Partnership Department (in Iran) provides support to field operations and professional expertise in the areas of primary health care and weapon contamination. Health services ensure that health needs of the most vulnerable people are met according to defined minimum packages of health services/care.
We are looking for a multi-skilled and flexible health field officer to join our Assistance and Partnership team. The post holder will work with the Assistance and Partnership Program Manager (APPM) and Health Delegate (HD) to assist the structure in implementing projects of the Assistance and Partnership Department in accordance with its objectives (particularly the primary health care project for the most vulnerable people and Afghan migrants living in outskirts of Mashhad city).
B. JOB DESCRIPTION AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports the HD and the APPM to strategically position and anchors the ICRC's health activities within the Mashhad health project and/or within ICRC health programs at national level;
- Supports the HD and the Mental Health Delegate (MHD) to monitor the implementation of the Mashhad health project (through result based management tools) and provides technical support thorough regular field visits and sustains contact with project counterparts in the field;
- Establishes and maintains good working relation with the Society for Recovery Support (SRS) and IRCS and other national and international health actors in Mashhad and participates in all necessary internal or external meetings to facilitate the exchange of information and coordination of activities;
- Ensures proper management of information and appropriate, relevant reporting for the Medical Activity Database (MAD), health quarterly reports and any other report as needed for Mashhad health project;
- Participates in analysis and reflection on the overall health situation; contributes to realistic project proposals in line with the delegation's objectives and priorities;
- Helps the HD/MHD/APPM to plan and organize field visits to Mashhad and arranges required meetings there;
- Accompanies the ICRC delegates - including HD and MHD - in the visits, meetings and side events during their mission to Mashhad city (Golshahr district) and makes required logistical arrangements;
- Provides interpretation and written translation from English to Farsi and vice versa during the visits, meetings and side events of the ICRC delegates in Mashhad city (Golshahr district);
- Ensures proper coordination and gives technical support to SRS (especially to the General Practitioner of SRS) and IRCS on quality of treatment and care of non-communicable diseases, mental health and physical rehabilitation for the most vulnerable individuals, while respecting national and international guidelines and standards;
- Organises and conducts follow up field visits for monitoring the health program in Golshahr district and outskirts of Mashhad;
- Supports and coordinates with the Tehran based HD for assessments, assistance and follow ups; PS: It should be noted that the position requires frequent travelling (on mission) inside the country.
C. PROFESSIONAL EXPERINCE AND EDUCATION REQUIRED
- Degree in medicine;
- Qualifications/experience in primary health care, treatment of non-communicable diseases and health management a strong asset;
- Minimum 4 years of total work experience in field of expertise;
- Fluent written and spoken command of the local working language as well as English;
- Computer proficiency and ability on software;
- Knowledge of the assigned geographic area is an advantage;
- Good analytical skills, able to work towards tight deadlines;
- Previous working experience with international or local humanitarian organizations is an asset;
D. APPLICATION PROCESS AND JOB LENGTH:
- All interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and a résumé in English to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (On the subject line of your email, please enter: Health Field Officer);
- ALL submissions MUST be received by the closing date of 09 Aug, 2018;
- We regret that only short listed applicants will be contacted for further process;
- Official working hours Sunday to Thursday (40h/week, extendable up to 44h/week if requested by the supervisor): 08h30-17h00 (excluding 30 minutes lunch break);
- Desired start date: as soon as possible