Legal Intern - Kuala Lumpur Regional Delegation
The ICRC is currently recruiting two (2) enthusiastic individuals to join its legal internship programme at the Kuala Lumpur Regional Delegation. Reporting to the Legal Adviser, the successful candidates will contribute to the ICRC's work on behalf of persons in need of protection and assistance.
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or post-graduate degree with a background in international law/ human rights or international humanitarian law.
- Computer literate with excellent knowledge and skills in Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia. (both written and spoken)
Main responsibilites and tasks:
- Supports the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Unit in IHL implementation, integration, and dissemination measures, including but not limited to:
- Conducting research and analysis on IHL and/or other relevant legal regimes.
- Providing assistance to the IHL Unit in dissemination and promotion of IHL to the authorities, academic circles, and the general public.
- Supporting the compilation and updating of the relevant IHL databases.
- Contributing to the Delegation’s communication platform on updates regarding IHL issues when necessary.
- The Intern shall contribute at least one (1) article on IHL-related issues to the Delegation’s webpage. Details on this particular task will be discussed with his/her Supervisor during the briefing period.
- Understanding the composition, roles, and functions of the different members of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Keeping abreast of the development in Malaysia and the region on matters related to IHL and other legal-related issues (e.g. cultural property, weapons treaty, human rights, use of force, new weapons, counter-terror, migration, etc) through web-based research, attending internal/external seminars/events, or other relevant means.
- Applies the ICRC’s Code of Conduct and Security Rules at all times.
- Subject to the approval of his/her direct supervisor and for the purpose of exposure, the Intern may also support other units in the Delegation when necessary.
- Performs other tasks and duties when necessary.
Personal and Professional Qualities:
- Strong organizational and inter-personal skills.
- Strong time management, self-discipline, responsible, trustworthy and meticulous.
- Flexible and able to work in a team.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new ideas and changes.
- Be aware of the delegation's activities, mandates and objectives.
- Capacity to apply ICRC rules and procedures.
- Possess high degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- A challenging opportunity in a learning organisation.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally renowned humanitarian organisation.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications are accepted from candidates on a rolling basis. The next internship period shall commence from June to September 2019 and thereafter from September to December 2019.
- Please send the following documents in English language to the ICRC Kuala Lumpur via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application Letter
- Resume/CV with a passport size photo attached, personal details and the contact details of at least one referee
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written assessment and an interview.