Who are we?
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is an independent, impartial and neutral humanitarian organization whose exclusive mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC undertakes humanitarian activities in various regions of the country and promotes international humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The ICRC Communication Department is looking for a Media Analyst to be based in its Yangon office. The Media Analyst will be responsible to support decision-making by proactively identifying, monitoring and analysing information from a variety of public sources in line with the delegation's priorities. In close cooperation with the Information Analyst, the employee will be contextualize and link the selected information with the Political, economic and security environment and performs systematic monitoring of the reputation of the ICRC and National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in local language or local media.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
- You will advise the Communication team and the Delegation with the analysis of the cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC and shares relevant information with colleagues, highlights events that could have an impact on organizations activities;
- You will add value to the information by connecting the dots between events and linking the information to the wider political, social and economic situation using facts and data;
- As part of your responsibilities, you will identify and monitor a variety of public sources that are relevant for the ICRC (with specific focus on local languages) on issues related to the delegation's communication and operational objectives, in order to alert on risks and opportunities;
- Furthermore, you will report efficiently and succinctly on the selected information by providing quantitative and qualitative analysis and a description of the trends and dynamics observed in public sources, including social media;
- You will support big data analysis by qualifying and validating local data and sources;
- You will interpret accurately from English to Myanmar language and vice versa during preparation of presentations, and at other times as directed;
- Moreover, you will train and coach as well as follow up the work of field communicators in media and social media analysis.
To be successful as a Media Analyst in the Communication Department, you should possess the following qualifications and experiences and have the following characteristics:
- It is required to have a university degree in a relevant discipline.
- You should have at least 4 years' work experience in a relevant field, preferable certified experience in online information searching, filtering and evaluating.
- Your communication skills should be excellent and you should be fluent in written and spoken English as well as Myanmar language.
- Previous ICRC experience or experiences in a humanitarian organization is also a strong asset.
- Preferable experience of report writing in production of information and analysis report.
We expect you to have the ability to work with different groups, partners and nationalities. You should also be self-motivated with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles. You should be flexible, enthusiastic and have the willingness to learn from others. You had better excellent knowledge of the media and social media landscape. You should feel confident in managing projects and coordinating with various partners and counterparts. You should have the proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines. You should be able to exercise discretion and have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
The position will be based in Yangon with frequent travel to other ICRC offices throughout Myanmar. You should be willing to relocate to Yangon. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of ethnicity, race, gender, disability or age.
What we offer
We offer an employment contract of 12 months with the possibility of extension. We offer a fair compensation package including, for example, medical coverage and transportation allowances. Furthermore, we provide various training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of the services provided to our beneficiaries as well as to support our staff members' professional and personal development.
Need further information?
For more information about the position, you are most welcome to contact our HR Officer – Recruitment & Selection, Ei Ei Nyein, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click for general information about the ICRC and our work in Myanmar.
Interested? Yes? Then apply!
Please submit your application in one email not exceeding 5MB via email to: email@example.com
Your application should include an updated CV and a cover letter expressing your motivation working with the ICRC and for the vacant position, in English language. Your application should include relevant certificates and contact details of three professional referees minimum, as well as your salary expectations.
Please indicate the Reference Number (COM_YAN_2017003) in the email subject.
You can also submit your application via mail to:
ICRC - Human Resources Department
No.2(C)-5, Kaba Aye Pagoda Road
8th Mile, Mayangone Township
Please send your application no later than 8 January 2018. Interviews are expected to take place within 2 weeks days after the application closing date. Due to the urgency of the position, the ICRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.