The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral, and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC Delegation in Israel and the Occupied Territories (IL/OT), is recruiting a talented, energetic, and engaged candidate for the following position:
Media and Communication Officer – Gaza
Place of Employment: Gaza
Contract duration: 1 Year contract, renewable (including 3 months probation Period)
Occupation rate: 100%
Starting Date: 30 July 2023
Under the supervision of the Gaza Communication and Prevention Team Leader, s/he is the media spokesperson for the Gaza Sub-Delegation. S/he is responsible for defining the key messages, public positioning, and generation of relevant audio-visual content in the Gaza Sub-delegation to contribute to the Delegation's visibility and positioning. S/he advises the delegation on public communication issues, opportunities, and challenges and contributes to the implementation of public engagement and digital strategies. S/he supports the Communication and Prevention Team Leader in operational communication and community engagement activities that strengthen the positioning, access, and acceptance of the ICRC and its priority concerns through public events, campaigns, networking, and stakeholder mapping.
Education and professional experience:
• University degree in a relevant field (public relations, journalism, or communications). A master's degree in a relevant field is an asset.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in public relations, communications, or journalism. Experience in a humanitarian organization is an advantage.
• Good knowledge and understanding of the Gaza Strip including a strong interest in humanitarian/human rights issues.
Desired profile and technical skills:
• Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic.
• Excellent public communication and negotiation skills (oral and written) and strong written editing skills. Good understanding of the media environment and newsgathering process.
• Substantial experience in writing articles, press releases, briefs, feature stories, etc. A track record of publications is an asset.
• Proficient and enthusiastic about social media, and a user of multiple platforms either professionally or personally.
• Excellent analytical skills and proven experience in information analysis. The ability to translate complex issues into simple and concise language is a distinct advantage.
• Proven experience in audio-visual content generation (photography and video) including the ability to self-shoot and edit.
• Experience in organizing public events, campaigns, and community engagement is an asset.
• High degree of initiative and organization as well as strong priority-setting skills. Proven capacity to work in a stressful environment and follow tight deadlines.
• Willingness to extensively travel in the Gaza Strip.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit an introduction letter and a resume in English, no later than 01 July 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject line: Media and Communication Officer Gaza_Application_ Your name
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted