The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Maiduguri Sub Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below.
Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Field Officer
(MHPSS Field Officer)
- In consultation with the MHPSS Delegate, coordinate the implementation of all field activities as defined in the MHPSS project document.
- Collaborate with the NRCS to coordinate volunteers to implement MHPSS activities as appropriate, supported by the MHPSS Programme Assistant
- Lead the volunteer team in a collaborative manner to identify the mental health and psychosocial needs of hospitalized patients, identifying relevant topics for problem solving, therapeutic and psychoeducational individual sessions, groups and sensitization activities as appropriate, with the support of the MHPSS Delegate.
- Maintain client files in accordance with international standards. Ensure all client information is kept confidential and clinical records and are kept securely and written in a respectful manner
- Identify key community actors and/or health staff who will receive intensive & ongoing training, coaching and supervision in mental health and psychological support, with the support the MHPSS delegate.
- Maintain a continuous awareness of the evolution of the situation and the impact on programme implementation, security considerations and MHPSS needs, communicating these with the sub delegation and the MHPSS Delegate as appropriate.
- Identify and facilitate referral pathways for clients in need of specialist psychological, mental health, medical and other humanitarian needs.
- University degree in Psychology.
- Post graduate degree in Clinical Psychology or Medical Doctor specialized in Psychiatry or similar.
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in clinical and/or community mental health and psychosocial programs.
- Experience working with the psychological effects of war political violence or other traumatic events highly desirable.
- Experience working in a hospital environment and/or with multidisciplinary health staff an asset.
- Group facilitation skills, training and supervision experience.
- Able to use Microsoft office efficiently.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, fluency in Kanuri and Hausa an asset.
- Good knowledge of the political, social and cultural assigned environment.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work.
- Team leadership and good communication skills.
- Flexibility to respond to changing circumstances.
- Able to follow directions diligently and work within a specified framework.
- Team work and partnership working skills.
- Willingness to learn and support others in their learning.
- Highly developed analytical, planning and organising skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a sense of initiative.
Persons interested and qualified should send application letter, curriculum vitae and contact details of three referees to
Please clearly indicate "MHPSS Field Officer MIU" as the subject of your application
(Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated)
Female candidates are encouraged to apply
The deadline for the submission of applications will be 17.11.2017, 16:30 h. Late application will not be considered
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information about the ICRC, please visit our website www.icrc.org