The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization that works to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. To find out more about ICRC mission and its activities visit www.icrc.org
Migration Field Officer (Protection)
The Migration/Protection Field Officer contributes to the Delegation improved understanding of Migration related needs in Malaysia beyond detention (extra muros), including through the monitoring of external sources, networking with relevant stakeholders, representing the ICRC in relevant platforms as well as policy and legal framework analysis. S/he contributes to ensuring the quality, consistency and continuity of the ICRC's operational response, protection dialogue, and policy engagement on migration, in line with the priorities and ambitions set for in the Regional Strategic Framework, the ICRC's Institutional Strategy on Migration and other relevant ICRC/Movement policy and guidance documents.
In view of the links between needs of detained migrants and needs of migrants outside detention settings as well as the importance of integrating those needs into the Delegation positioning with the authorities' concerned.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Is the focal person for migration issues within the protection department responsible for linking, aligning and ensuring complementarity of the different migration related activities of the protection and other departments in the ICRC delegation.
- Supports the work of ICRC Delegation in analysing Migration trends, including humanitarian needs, challenges, and policy developments in Malaysia, and contributes to the global analysis, through the production of synthesis and briefing notes.
- Supports the definition and implementation of activities carried out by the Delegation in line with ICRC regional and global orientations and strategies on Migration ensuring to keep the need of the people at the centre and ensuring a transversal response (assistance, protection, prevention, communication and cooperation).
- Networking: Identify and engage with new/additional stakeholders in order to develop and enhance the dialogue with decision and policymakers on migration-related matters.
- Together with Cooperation department, support the capacity strengthening activities for Migration in the national society such as preparedness for emergencies, at headquarters and branch level in close coordination with the partners.
- Participate to visits to detainees held in detention places in Malaysia and assess conditions of detention as well as treatment and contribute to the follow-up of issues identified during the visits.
- Contribute to the Protection department's better understanding of the legal frameworks and policies applicable to prison and immigration detention systems (in close coordination with the detention team), or other relevant protection-related matter.
- Together with the communication department, and where relevant the cooperation department and the National Society, formulates public messages and positioning in migration matters.
- Contribute to the delegation's annual planning exercise and other reporting processes by presenting problem analyses and suggesting approaches to addressing the issues identified, especially on the Migration file
- Plans, implements and reports on protection activities, including some with complete autonomy.
- Drafts analyses of the security, socioeconomic, cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC in particular about Migration related needs, shares relevant information with colleagues, and reports any change in the situation.
- As a project team member, contributes to the design and the implementation of multidisciplinary projects.]Collects, compiles, translates and interprets protection-related information, in particular in relation with Migration, and prepares written reports.
- Plans, organizes and reports on internal and external meetings, some with autonomy.
- Develops, maintains and organizes contact with the municipal/regional authorities, local/regional National Society branches, the local population, suppliers, etc.
- Coordinates her/his tasks with the other team members, including the regional colleagues (Regional Migration Advisor, SGBV advisor, etc.) when relevant.
- Provides briefings and technical support to staff involved in protection activities, and in particular Migration related activities.
- May be called upon to be in charge of additional protection activities.
- Is responsible for creating a conducive environment (multidisciplinary approach, good team dynamics) among their own team members and with other teams.
- Takes the lead on one or more themes at delegation level.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's Degree in Law, Human Rights Law, political sciences or another relevant field
- 3 - 5 years' previous professional experiences, for instance in the field of social/political/economic science or similar.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Bahasa Malaysia
- Excellent communication abilities with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Motivation and commitment to humanitarian work
- Strong organisational and planning skills, attention to details
- Good communication, presentation, organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Malaysia
- Knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement would be an advantage
- Previous experience working in an international organisation preferred
- A national contract with a competitive compensation and social package.
- A challenging job in a learning organisation with development opportunities.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally renowned humanitarian organisation.
HOW TO APPLY
This position is open only to Malaysian nationals. Closing Date: 12 June 2022. Please send the following documents in English Language to the ICRC Kuala Lumpur via email to HR Department, at KUA_HR_Unit_Group@icrc.org
- Motivation Letter
- Resume/CV with passport size picture on CV, current and expected salary, details and contact number of three referees
- Copies of educational and employment certificates
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for tests and interviews.