Who are we?
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is an independent, impartial and neutral humanitarian organization whose exclusive mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC undertakes humanitarian activities in various regions of the country and promotes international humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The ICRC Protection Department is looking for a Migration Specialist based in its Yangon office. In close cooperation with the Restoring Family Link Delegate, the Migration Specialist will have a key role in developing the Migration File within the Myanmar delegation, both internally and externally. The employee will work towards increasing the support provided by the ICRC to migrants and their families, through building and maintaining, mostly independently, a relevant network of external interlocutors. Moreover, the Migration Specialist work will participate positioning the ICRC as a key factor in the Migration file in the region, including aspects related to the missing migrants.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
- You will propose and implement activities and strategies in favour of migrants or families of migrants.
- You will coordinate and draft migration concept papers for the Southeast-Asia region with other ICRC departments, National Societies and the International Federation of the Red Cross.
- As an important part of your duties, you will develop the delegation's understanding of the legal framework related to the missing persons/migrants in liaison with the Legal Officer.
- You will meet with families of missing migrants to better understand their needs and expectations.
- As Migration Focal point of the delegation, you will be in regular contact with NGOs, international organizations, relevant government authorities (such as Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Immigration and Labour or Ministry of Health and Sports) working on migration; "building and sustaining" a network with key actors.
- You will develop and enhance the general awareness of the migration file within the delegation through ad-hoc events / activities / coaching / training.
To be successful as the Migration Specialist in the Protection Department, you should possess:
- Master's degree in Migration, Legal Studies or other relevant areas.
- Experience in similar field (+ 6 years) and with key agencies involved in Migration ideally both at project and advocacy level.
- Your communication skills should be excellent to develop both orally and in written complex arguments, in English as well as in Myanmar language. Additional language used in South East Asia is an asset.
- You should a proven ability in coaching/training/representation/networking skills.
- Very good knowledge of national, regional and global environment regarding Migration related topics;
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office suit.
- Understanding of the Forensics work is an added value.
- Preferable experience with State/Union Level Ministries / entities and precise understanding of the functioning of Myanmar bureaucracy.
- Previous ICRC experience and/or previous similar experience with an International Organization is a strong asset.
We expect you to have the ability to work with different groups, partners and nationalities. You should also be self-motivated with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles. You should be flexible, enthusiastic and have the willingness to learn from others. You should also be able to work independently, as well as effectively under supervision. You should feel confident in managing projects and coordinating with various partners and counterparts. You should have the proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines. You should be able to exercise discretion and have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
The position will be based in Yangon with frequent travel to other ICRC offices in the country as directed. You should be willing to relocate to Yangon.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of ethnicity, race, gender, disability or age.
What we offer
We offer an employment contract of 12 months with the possibility of extension. We offer a fair compensation package including, for example, medical coverage and transportation allowances. Furthermore, we provide various training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of the services provided to our beneficiaries as well as to support our staff members' professional and personal development.
Need further information?
For more information about the position, you are most welcome to contact our HR Officer – Recruitment & Selection, Ei Ei Nyein, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click for general information about the ICRC and our work in Myanmar.
Interested? Yes? Then apply!
Please submit your application in one email not exceeding 5MB via email to: email@example.com
Your application should include an updated CV and a cover letter expressing your motivation working with the ICRC and for the vacant position, in English language. Your application should include relevant certificates and contact details of three professional referees minimum, as well as your salary expectations.
Please indicate the Reference Number (PROT_YAN_2017001) in the email subject.
You can also submit your application via mail to:
ICRC - Human Resources Department
No.2(C)-5, Kaba Aye Pagoda Road
8th Mile, Mayangone Township
Please send your application no later than 10 January 2018. Interviews are expected to take place within 2 weeks days after the application closing date. Due to the urgency of the position, the ICRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.