The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC is looking to recruit a Military and Armed Group (MAG) Programme Advisor for its Regional Delegation in Kuala Lumpur. The Regional Delegation covers Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei. The MAG Programme Advisor will assist the MAG Delegate in implementing the FAS programme, including planning, carrying out, assessing and following up FAS activities. S/he maintains contact with authorities, mainly military or security bodies but not only, at various levels, and participates in meetings with different contacts, in a leading or supporting role.
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
- Graduated from a military academy as an officer;
- Served a substantial amount of time in the Armed Forces, attained the rank of major or equivalent, or higher, and/or held a significant command or staff appointment, and/or military experience including operational deployments/combat experience;
- With a university degree at bachelor level or equivalent (A legal studies is an added advantage)
- Fluent in English and Malay; other languages a plus.
- Having advance knowledge in IHL and IHRL
- Has experience working with government ministries: Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Defence, or AG Chambers Attended a senior staff college,
- A War College or Senior Police Staff Collage graduate an asset.
- Knowledge of militaries and police (law enforcement officials) command Headquarters and operational structures and military policy of the region
- Be able to write high-level correspondence and interact with senior government officials
- Computer literate
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Assist the FAS Delegate at the National Defence University of Malaysia's Regional Centre of Excellence for Military and International Law (the Centre), and the point of contact for Armed Forces and other arms carriers in Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei.
- Assists the FAS Delegate/delegation in designing, follows up and implementing the Centre's regional programs related to the promotion and integration of IHL and other legal standards for the region's military legal community, military operators, and other government security forces in line with the Region's Strategic Framework this includes organizing and preparing dissemination materials and reporting.
- Assist FAS Delegate in maintaining and developing a network of senior military lawyers and directors of military legal training institutes in Asia
- Develop, update and deliver presentations to middle ranking officers (Lt Colonel and below and Police equivalent) on the role of the ICRC, international humanitarian law and international human rights law as it relates to use of force by the military and police forces with possible expansion into similar audiences in Singapore and Brunei.
- Contributes to the annual planning exercise (Planning for Results) on issues related to the armed and security forces.
Personal and Professional Qualities:
- Capable of performing autonomously while multitasking
- Can work effectively under time and travel pressure
- Can communicate effectively
- Has excellent analytical skills with a confirmed ability to analyse, synthesize, and report internally on a variety of issues
- Has the ability and interest to play an advisory and support role to different internal departments
- With good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Flexible and willing to travel
- A national contract with a competitive compensation and social package.
- A challenging job in a learning organisation with development opportunities.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally renowned humanitarian organisation
HOW TO APPLY
- This position is open only to Malaysian nationals.
- Closing Date: Apr 30, 2019
- Please send the following documents in English language to the ICRC Kuala Lumpur via email at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Motivational Letter
- Resume/CV with passport size picture on CV, current and expected salary, details and contact number of three referees
- Copies of educational and employment certificates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for tests and interviews.