The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC is looking to recruit a Military and Armed Group (MAG) Programme Assistant for its Regional Delegation in Kuala Lumpur. The Regional Delegation covers Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei. The MAG Programme Assistant will assist the MAG Programme Advisor in implementing the FAS programme, including planning, carrying out, assessing and following up FAS activities.
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
- Graduated from a military academy as an officer and has;
- Served a substantial amount of time in the Armed Forces, attained the rank of captain or equivalent, or higher;
- With a university degree at bachelor level or equivalent (A legal studies is an added advantage), those without military background must have knowledge of militaries and police (law enforcement officials) command Headquarters and operational structures and military policy of the region
- Fluent in English and Malay; other languages a plus.
- Having exposure or basic knowledge in IHL and IHRL
- Computer literate
- Capable of performing autonomously while multi-tasking in various activities and multiple task simultaneously and working under time and travel pressure
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Assist FAS Programme Advisor in the Supervision, the planning and administration of ICRC sponsored FAS conferences, Regional Events and workshops to the military, police forces and at CoMIHL.
- Independently creates, maintains, develops and feeds a database containing various levels of military and police authority contacts or other relevant external interlocutors (military or police attachés, NGOs, UN system, etc.).
- Organizes meetings, gatherings or conferences under the direction of the FAS Delegate (and/or in some cases the FAS Programme Adviser), applying relevant administrative and logistics procedures.
- Drafting correspondence, including invitation letters, meeting requests, thank you letters, etc.
- Follows up and keeps track of budget expenditure.
- Upon request, takes notes during meetings and conferences, and drafts reports based on them.
- Maintains and updates the stock of different ICRC publications needed for FAS activities.
- Prepares and follows up dissemination activities with the military or police forces on international humanitarian law (IHL), international human rights law (IHRL) and ICRC activities; this includes organizing and preparing dissemination materials and reporting.
- Contributes to the annual planning exercise (Planning for Results) on issues related to the armed and security forces.
Personal and Professional Qualities:
- Capable of performing autonomously while multitasking
- Can work effectively under time and travel pressure
- Can communicate effectively
- Has excellent analytical skills with a confirmed ability to analyse, synthesize, and report internally on a variety of issues
- Has the ability and interest to work in a team and support role to different internal departments
- With good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Flexible and willing to travel
- A national contract with a competitive compensation and social package.
- A challenging job in a learning organisation with development opportunities.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally renowned humanitarian organisation
HOW TO APPLY
- This position is open only to Malaysian nationals.
- Closing Date: Apr 30, 2019
- Please send the following documents in English language to the ICRC Kuala Lumpur via email at email@example.com:
- Motivational Letter
- Resume/CV with passport size picture on CV, current and expected salary, details and contact number of three referees
- Copies of educational and employment certificates
- ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for tests and interviews.