Who are we?
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is an independent, impartial and neutral humanitarian organization whose exclusive mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC undertakes humanitarian activities in various regions of the country and promotes international humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the job
The ICRC Water & Habitat department is looking for Water & Habitat engineers and technician to strengthen its capacity and to upscale its workforce in order to respond to current and future needs. The objective if these positions is to deliver Water & Habitat services to the organization in order improve beneficiaries’ access to water infrastructures. Water & Habitat Engineers and Technicians are responsible for / assist in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring Water & Habitat projects as well as evaluate the situation with an additional focus on humanitarian situation required by conflicts and/or crisis in Myanmar. Water & Habitat Engineers / Technicians will be based in one of the different office of the ICRC, mainly in Kachin State, Rakhine State and Shan State but also in Yangon.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will be responsible for or assist in the preparation of Water & Habitat proposals including descriptions, sketches, drawings, bill of quantities, costs estimation as well as the implementation of Water & Habitat projects.
- You will be responsible for or assist in purchasing and delivery of Water & Habitat materials.
- You will be responsible for or assist in the monitoring and evaluation of Water & Habitat projects.
- You will act as the technical support for Water & Habitat projects and provides technical support, when needed or upon request.
- You will provide technical input by preparing appropriate educational material and conducting tailored knowledge-transfer to stakeholders.
- Furthermore, you will contribute to the coaching of the Myanmar Red Cross Society (MRCS) volunteers on project design, implementation and evaluation.
- In addition, you will contribute to keep Water & Habitat program management tools up to date and provides statistics.
To be successful as Water & Habitat engineer or technician in the Water & Habitat department of the ICRC, you should possess the following qualifications and experiences and have the following characteristics:
- It is required to have a high school diploma or university degree in a relevant discipline, preferable in engineering.
- You should have between 1 and 6 years’ work experience in a relevant field.
- Your communication skills should be excellent and you should be fluent in written and spoken English as well as Myanmar language. The knowledge of local dialects spoken in the Myanmar area is a definite asset.
- Previous experience in a humanitarian organization is a strong asset.
We expect you to have the ability to work with different groups, partners and nationalities. You should also be self-motivated with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles. You should be flexible, enthusiastic and have the willingness to learn from others. You should also be able to work independently, as well as effectively under supervision. You should feel confident in managing projects and coordinating with various partners and counterparts. You should the proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines. You should be able to exercise discretion and have the ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of ethnicity, race, gender, disability or age.
What we offer
We offer an employment contract of 12 months with the possibility of extension. We offer a fair compensation package including, for example, medical coverage and transportation allowances. Furthermore, we provide various training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of the services provided to our beneficiaries as well as to support our staff members’ professional and personal development.
Need further information?
For more information about the position, you are most welcome to contact our HR Department at email@example.com.
Then apply! We are looking forward to receiving your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your complete application including your updated CV and a motivation letter, both in English, and relevant certificates, preferably with translation (in one email not exceeding 5 MB).
Please indicate the Reference Number WATHAB_ALL_2017001 in the email subject.
You can also submit your application via mail to:
ICRC - Human Resources Department
No.2(C)-5, Kaba Aye Pagoda Road
8th Mile, Mayangone Township
Or any ICRC Office, either in Kyaing-Tong, Lashio, Mandalay, Maungdaw, Mrauk-U, Myitkyina, Naypyidaw Pha-An or Sittwe
All applications should include an updated CV and a cover letter expressing your motivation working with the ICRC and in the vacant position, both in English language. Your application should include contact details of three professional referees minimum, as well as your salary expectations.
Please send your application no later than 16 July 2017. Interviews are expected to take place within 2 weeks days after the application closing date.
Candidates found suitable for a specific vacancy would be invited to participate in a competitive assessment process.