Profession: senior fundraising officer – private sector fundraising
09-11-2012 Job Opportunity
Location: Brasilia, Brazil
Reports to: Head of Regional Delegation (Coordination and professional support from Head of Private Fundraising in Geneva)
Location: Brasilia, Brazil
Salary: Competitive plus benefits
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) responds to worldwide humanitarian needs through its global network of delegations. The ICRC is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
Background to role:
In order to ensure the predictable funding of its operations, the ICRC has set itself the goal to increase income from private fundraising streams. As part of this process we are creating regionally based Senior Fundraising Officer – Private Sector Fundraising posts to support the fundraising and resource mobilization activities in the countries within the region.
Under the supervision of the Head of Regional Delegation and in coordination with the Private Fundraising Division in Geneva, the Senior Fundraising Officer develops and implements private sector fundraising activities in order to increase the level of funding, focussing initially on Brazil and at a later stage also covering some other countries in the region.
The Senior Fundraising Officer will be specifically in charge of the mapping of potential private donor segments and of mobilising resources. Based on the ICRC overall Funding Strategy 2012‐
2020 and on the related Fundraising Roadmap for the private sector, the Senior Fundraising Officer is tasked with the implementation of activities primarily towards foundations, high worth net individuals and the corporate sector. These activities will be implemented in coordination with the Red Cross National Society (NS) fundraising structures.
The Senior Fundraising Officer is based in the Brasilia Regional Delegation. In the future and once the private fundraising in Brazil is showing results, this role may be extended to other countries where there is also potential to increase fundraising activities. Given that this position is new, the expected result is to define a plan of action based on some initial scoping work/identification of sources of funding, strategy development/priorities and the setting of performance indicators working closely with the Private Fundraising Division in Geneva.
Mapping of potential donor segments – identification of sources of funding
- Researching, collating and analysing relevant information in order to identify the priority target segments of the fundraising environment
- Conducting market surveys of corporate, foundation and high net worth individuals fundraising in the region including the profile and reputation of the groups/companies and the compatibility of their business sector with the ICRC mission and values, in view of forming alliances and networks
- Identifying fundraising opportunities and developing appropriate approach strategies
- Sharing relevant information on private sector fundraising issues and resource mobilisation opportunities within the delegation, with the operation region and with the relevant divisions in Geneva to ensure opportunities for resource mobilisation are shared and optimized
- Networking and promoting the ICRC and its activities and programmes
- Ensuring the setting up of a written, verbal and financial monitoring and reporting system in liaison with the Administration Department and in line with ICRC's financial guidelines
- Integrate themes and work of ICRC campaigns or programme initiatives into the fundraising activities
Relations with the Red Cross National Societies fundraising operations
- Getting familiar with the structures, fundraising objectives and capabilities of the Red Cross National Societies (NS)
- Developing a strong relationship with the NS conducive to the creation of a partnership for common fundraising activities
- Identifying operations and/or themes of interest for the NS and suitable for “win‐win” fundraising activities.
Coordination of fundraising activities with the National Societies
- Planning and promoting joint fundraising campaigns with the NS in order to raise funds for a range of activities and to enhance public awareness of ICRC's work and “Budget Extension” appeals
Compliance with relevant legislation
- Ensuring that fundraising regulations and legal issues as they relate to donor fundraising activities are respected.
Qualifications and experience:
Experience & knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of philanthropy and fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to develop private sector fundraising
- Background in developing promotional material, advertising campaigns or marketing events
- Experience of private fundraising in international humanitarian organizations and corporate fundraising experience an advantage
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing and sales skills
- Experience of effective communication at senior levels and with wealthy and influential people, providing a compelling case for support
- Accomplished interpersonal, networking and organisational skills
- Sense of responsibility and capacity to work independently within a team
- Proven management capabilities, mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong leader and relationship builder with experience in engaging internal and external stakeholders to develop new activities and projects
- Demonstrated capacity to influence peers, senior management, Board and external partners
- Diplomat, good listener with strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working across different cultures and levels of society
- Open for challenges with a sound sense of curiosity
- Ability to analyse marketing and financial data
- Computer skills: excellent knowledge of windows based software, good knowledge of customer relationship management systems
- Excellent knowledge of English, Portuguese and Spanish (written and oral proficiency is essential)
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement an advantage
- University graduate or similar, with 6 years working experience in marketing/fundraising, programme management
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post, and your suitability for this role, along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English in strict confidence BY EMAIL ONLY to Isabel Leal at Daryl Upsall Consulting International at email@example.com Applications sent by other means will not be considered.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “ICRC – Senior FR Officer Brazil” in the email subject line and also state how you found out about the job announcement.
Deadline for applications: Monday 3 December 2012, 9am Central European Time
Interviews will take place in Brasilia, Brazil in the week beginning 17 December 2012