Profession: head of unit for global planning
31-01-2013 Job Opportunity Ref. hq-chef-gp
The holder of the post is responsible for - and manages - a team of about 15 HR professionals in charge of the HR management of the international assignment of all ICRC mobile personnel worldwide. The Global Planning unit manages over 1000 international moves per year in close cooperation with operational regions and in-country delegations, in order to ensure the best possible implementation of our humanitarian activities.
The ICRC is currently working in about 80 countries and deploys an average of 1'500 mobile staff for its humanitarian activities. Assigning the right person at the right time and in the right context is key to ensure the continuity and quality of those operations.
The job holder is responsible for ensuring a smooth functioning of the current International Assignment planning process, while working towards implementing the new International Assignment policy to be defined within the framework of the "People Management Program".
The Head of Unit is a position in RH/SOURC and reports to the Head of the Division. He/she interacts with numerous units and divisions within the institution in order to ensure coherent implementation of policies and practices.
- Manage a team of 15 personnel managers.
- Provide coaching and support for the team's HR professional development.
- Keep him/herself and the team up-to-date on HR tools, processes and strategies relating to International Assignment planning.
- Responsible for the alignment & consistency of HR policy, procedures, processes and practices in the domain of International Assignment Planning and for ensuring their implementation and respect via headquarters managers and personnel managers.
- Participate in the institutional efforts to review and improve the International Assignment Planning policy, together with line managers of the several professions within the institution.
- Responsible for implementing the new International Assignment policy.
- Close cooperation with other HR units, notably Shared Services and HR Operational.
- Engagement with key customers of the GP unit, notably operational regions and métiers (functions).
- Provide support and back up as necessary to the Head of Division.
Qualifications and experience required
- Proven management experience of a team of about 10 people.
- HR experience in International Assignment Planning preferable.
- Wider HR experience desirable.
- Knowledge of Swiss labour law a great asset.
- Field experience in a humanitarian or development environment.
- Strong command of English and French.
- Experience in change management.
Strong leadership & development qualities.
Ability to influence and manage, and integrate change.
Ability to outreach and network across multiple functions and regions, with good cross-cultural sensitivity and communication skills.
Perseverance and autonomy, strong organisational skills.
Strong interpersonal skills, excellent capacity to deal with an experienced team.
Minimum length of assignment: 4 years
Beginning of assignment: flexible