Background documents and reports
30th International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, Geneva, 26 to 30 November 2007. Official working documents of the 30th International Conference.
Official working documents have been issued on 11 October 2007 to all members of the International Conference and to observers. It provides them with background documents on the four Objectives of the Conference, and the resolutions and Declaration submitted for adoption.
The objectives for the Conference are as follows:
Objective 1 - The need for collaborative action and partnerships between States, the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and other stakeholders in addressing humanitarian challenges of common concern
- Background document (30IC/07/5.1) prepared jointly by the ICRC and the International Federation. The purpose of these documents is to prepare the general debate and possible Declaration of the Conference regarding the need for collaborative action and partnerships between States, components of the Movement and other stakeholders to address the specifichumanitarianconsequences of the following challenges:
- environmental degradation, including climate change;
- international migration;
- violence, in particular in urban settings;
- emergent and recurrent diseases and other public health challenges, such as access to health care.
Objective 2 - The specific nature of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in action and partnerships and the role of National Societies as auxiliaries to the public authorities in the humanitarian field
- Background document (30IC/07/7.1) prepared by the International Federation in consultation with the ICRC
- Guiding questions for Commission A (30IC/07/7.2)
Objective 3 - Reaffirmation and implementation of international humanitarian law: Preserving Human Life and Dignity in Armed Conflict
- Background document (30IC/07/8.1) prepared by the ICRC
- Guiding questions for Commission B
- Study on customary international humanitarian law (30IC/07/8.3), report prepared by the ICRC
- International humanitarian law and the challenges of contemporary armed conflicts (30IC/07/8.4) and Annex 1, report prepared by the International Committee of the Red Cross
Objective 4 - Strengthening the legal frameworks for International response to disasters
Follow-up to the 28th International Conference - The ICRC and the International Federation have produced this report on the follow-up to the 28th International Conference on the basis of information received from members before 31 July 2007 and posted on the Database "Follow-up to the 28th International Conference".
- Introduction (30IC/07/10.1.0), document prepared jointly by the ICRC and the International Federation
- Part 1 - Implementation of General Objective 1 of the Agenda for Humanitarian Action : Respect and restore the dignity of persons missing as a result of armed conflicts or other situations of armed violence and of their families (30IC/07/10.1.1), document prepared by the ICRC
- Part 2 - Implementation of General Objective 2 of the Agenda for Humanitarian Action : Addressing the human costs of the availability, use and misuse of weapons in armed conflicts (30IC/07/10.1.2), document prepared by the ICRC
- Part 3 - Implementation of General Objective 3 of the Agenda for Humanitarian Action : Minimize the impact of disasters through implementation of disaster risk reduction measures and improving preparedness and response mechanisms (30IC/07/10.1.3), document prepared by the International Federation
- Part 4 - Implementation of General Objective 4 of the Agenda for Humanitarian Action : Reduce the increased vulnerability to diseases arising from stigma and discrimination and from the lack of access to comprehensive prevention, care and treatment (30IC/07/10.1.4), document prepared by the International Federation
- Part 5 - Implementation of Resolution 1 in the field of international humanitarian law (30IC/07/10.1.5), document prepared the ICRC
- The Restoring Family Links Strategy (and implementation plan) for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (2008-2018) (30IC/07/10.2 and CD/07/4.1), copy of the draft Strategy as submitted to the Council of Delegates (23-24 November 2007) for adoption.