Regional delegation for Central Asia - update 2001
The ICRC has been in Central Asia since 1992. Its main aim is the promotion of international humanitarian law (IHL), a law designed to limit the suffering of people caused by armed conflicts. Below are six updates describing ICRC activities in Central Asia in 2001, full text in PDF format only :
1. The Regional Delegation for Central Asia (90 kb) :
Teaches young people to respect human dignity
Promotes the teaching of IHL in universities
Promotes the knowledge and application of IHL by armed and security forces at various levels
Provides legal expertise in the implementation of national legislation to meet IHL requirements
2. Implementing International Humanitarian Law : from law to action (72 kb) :
What is implementation of international humanitarian law ?
Who is responsible for implementation of international humanitarian law ?
What needs to be done to implement international humanitarian law ?
3. Promoting international humanitarian law in the higher educational institutions of Central Asia (63 kb):
Training scholars on IHL
Supporting IHL publications and research
Including IHL in the standard programme of universities
4. Teaching the law of armed conflict to the arms carriers in Central Asia (135 kb):
What is the law of armed conflict ?
The role of the ICRC
Rules for combatants
5. The ICRC and the International Red Cross and the Red Cross Movement (138 kb)
6. Teaching young people to respect human dignity (79kb)