12-05-2010 Facts and Figures
- Dunant's four colleagues on the original committee of 1863 included a retired general, two doctors and a lawyer.
- Although acting in a private capacity, they persuaded the Swiss government to convene the Diplomatic Conference of 1864, which adopted the Geneva Convention.
- The first national society to be formed was in the German state of Württemberg in November 1863.
- The ICRC gained acceptance as a neutral humanitarian intermediary during the wars that flared up round Europe in the 1860s and 1870s.
- The red crescent emblem was first used in 1876 by medical units of the (Turkish) Ottoman Empire, which was fighting a war with Russia.