The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of "Regional Communication Center Manager for Latin America" (resident position)
Full-time, based in Buenos Aires
Purpose of the post
The regional communication center (RCC) for the Americas is based in Buenos Aires. It provides strategic communication services in Spanish and Portuguese, communication support to ICRC delegations in Latin America and – when required – to headquarters units, and develops digital communication projects at regional level.
The head of the RCC manages and leads a team of 19 communication and support staff. Communication specialists are in charge of digital publishing & marketing, audiovisual production, publications and language services. They advise, coach and train fellow communication colleagues from delegations in the region. The RCC manager reports to the deputy director of the communication and information management department in Geneva.
Main duties and responsibilities
- RCC management: The head of the RCC is responsible for the strategy, planning and budget management of the center. S/he ensures that these are in line with priorities and strategies of the organization at regional and global levels. The head of the center manages the overall RCC activities according to a plan of action and under optimal use of human and material resources. S/he ensures that ICRC finance, human resources and logistics procedures and guidelines are followed at all times.
- Human resources management: The head of the RCC manages and leads the RCC team. S/he supports staff members in planning and carrying out their activities, coaches them and facilitates further training & coaching. The RCC manager ensures that all staff members set performance targets, and provides those under direct supervision with regular performance feedback and formal annual appraisals. S/he oversees salary adjustments, conducts recruitment of new team members and ensures that job descriptions are updated as required. Leading by example, s/he pro-actively contributes to a productive working environment by inspiring and empowering staff members. S/he upholds appropriate internal communication and organizes regular internal meetings.
- Communication services: The RCC manager contributes to the development and implementation of regional strategies for digital communication, production and language services in Spanish and Portuguese, in conjunction with headquarters and delegations. S/he ensures that communication services and projects provided by the RCC follow relevant institutional procedures and workflows, and correspond to delegations' and audiences' needs. The head of the RCC actively promotes the center's services and role to delegations, evaluates the quality of its work on a regular basis, identifies and proposes the development of new communication services or projects, as appropriate. S/he is responsible for the editorial line of the digital platforms in Spanish and Portuguese. Alongside delegations and in coordination with Geneva, s/he supports the center's digital officers and AV producer in the development and publishing of engaging content. The RCC manager also contributes to the development of regional publications.
- Coordination with headquarters and delegations: The head of the RCC works closely with units from the communication and information management department in Geneva, as well as with delegations in Latin America, and maintains efficient information sharing on communication matters. S/he contributes to institutional communication policies and guidelines drafted by headquarters and supports their implementation in delegations based in the region, providing advice and guidance when needed. The RCC manager seeks regular information on local and regional communication strategies, challenges, and communication needs, and contributes to delegations' communication strategies when appropriate. S/he travels regularly to delegations and organizes regional workshops with communication managers and/or communication specialists from delegations in the Americas. S/he actively contributes to the global RCC network development at the ICRC.
Education and experience required
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as communications, public relations, multimedia production or digital communication management.
- 10 years working experience in a communication related field. Preferably with the ICRC or another component of the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement, otherwise with the UN or an NGO in an international environment.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing a diverse, highly qualified and autonomous team.
- Confirmed proficiency in project management, strategic planning and budget management.
- ICRC headquarters experience is a distinct advantage.
- Field experience in the humanitarian sector is a significant advantage.
- Sound knowledge of digital communications is a strong asset.
Desired profile and skills
- Complete fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage. French is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication and negotiation skills, fostering productive personal relationships.
- Strong leader who takes initiatives in the interest of his/her team and the organization.
- Very good soft skills for staff empowerment and motivation.
- Proven capacity to work in a team. Strong internal communication and coaching capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to assess needs, set priorities and to plan, budget, manage and evaluate multiple activities under tight deadlines.
- Flexible. Capacity to innovate, adapt and promote services and projects as required.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize complex information quickly.
- Comfortable working in a dynamically changing environment, with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of humanitarian and other relevant issues/trends in Latin America is a distinct advantage.
- Responsible, autonomous and reliable.
- Availability to travel regularly.
Nationality / work permit: Argentine national, holder of a work permit in Argentina, or planning to establish in Argentina (in which case the ICRC can help obtain the work permit)
Length of assignment: open ended
Starting date: 1 November 2018
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria, please forward your CV (no longer than two pages) together with a separate cover letter in Word format, including salary expectations at: email@example.com before 24 June 2018.
On the subject line of your email, please enter: RCC Manager