The International Committee for the Red Cross for Mexico, Central America and Cuba is seeking for a:
REGIONAL HEALTH COORDINATOR
The Regional Health Coordinator has the responsibility for all health programs and activities in the Regional Delegation of Mexico, in line with the ICRC's Institutional Strategy and Health Strategy. S/he is in charge of defining, leading, advising and supporting the implementing of strategies and programs, in coordination with the Head of Health Sector and the Head of Delegation.
S/he is the overall responsible for the development and implementation of quality interventions in the health sector, comprising of 8 different programs (Health programs for migrants and IDPs, Physical Rehabilitation, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Hospital project and surgical activities, Primary & pre-hospital Health Care, Health in Detention, HCiD, Health in community projects).
The RHC is in charge of a team of 32 persons, including 10 mobiles and 22 residents located in 5 different countries, and is the direct line manager of 7 persons, and manages a budget of 2 million CHF (direct costs).
(Refer to full JD for detailed list of responsibilities)
As the main responsible for all Health programs, and in close collaboration with the Deputy Health Coordinator (DHC) and the TEG health manager (based in HON):
• Ensures quality of health programming, in close coordination with the ICRC's technical programs at headquarters and coordinates the different health programs and projects in the region, in close collaboration with the other ICRC departments and Head of missions of the Regional Delegation, and with ICRC's Head of Health Sector.
• Is responsible for understanding regional and national public health issues and for support the health team members in the planning, implementation, supervision and evaluation of their respective programs.
• Ensures a solid contribution from the health perspective to the ICRC's multidisciplinary and integrated approach at regional level and advises the other departments, the Deputy Head of Delegation-Operations and missions in the possible health implications of their programs.
• Represents the ICRC and the Health Department in humanitarian coordination mechanisms and external technical fora, in order to increase synergies, visibility and networking opportunities.
• Establishes, maintains, and improves active and regular working relationships and takes the lead role in representing the principles and work of the ICRC to representatives of other organizations (UN, INGOs, Civil Society, counter-parts, donors, government authorities, regional fora, etc.).
• Works at policy level with high-level decision makers, participating in strategy development, policy making, and technical discussions, as well as negotiating to determine priorities for development.
• Prepares briefing materials and reports on health sector where necessary. Conducts regular field visits to coach and support key staff at field level to achieve measurable program impact.
• Identifies technical training needs and contributes to training sessions for ICRC health staff and other external partners if/when relevant.
• Supervises, mentors and advises health staff at delegation level. Contributes to health key technical staff recruitment and performance monitoring in collaboration with their line managers.
As Health Focal Point for the RD mobile & resident staff, s/he is responsible for medical prevention and follow up such as: medical briefing, vaccination control, Health kits management (for all the delegation staff. Responsible for MedEvac process for mobile staff.
Studies and Areas of Knowledge
• Medical Doctor (MD)
• Master in Public Health or equivalent.
• Epidemiology and Health Management strong assets.
• Fluent English and Spanish (both written and oral).
• Proven skills in management of health programs with a Public Health approach.
• Substantial experience at international level in technical support and/or program management.
• Direct experience of planning, implementing and measuring the impact of health related programs.
• Confirmed experience in team management and leadership.
• Proven knowledge of health systems in Mexico and Central America.
• Experience on the coordination of health programs with the ICRC will be a strong advantage.
• Working experience in Latin America will be an advantage.
• Clear commitment to, and experience of, developing and coaching professional and national staff, combined with the ability to give direct actionable feedback.
• Inter-personal skills to influence and guide Field and other managers in identifying programming opportunities and resolving program challenges.
• Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
• Credibility to represent the organization to authorities and actively participate in the different Health fora's.
• Willingness to work and travel in difficult environments.
• Commitment to the values and mission of ICRC.
• Ability to travel to the field, which might require +/- 50% of the work.
• Driving License
- Management line: Deputy Head of Delegation (MEX RD)
- Functional (technical) reporting line: Head of Health Sector (ICRC HQ)
We offer: Contract as resident employee based in Mexico, competitive salary, employee benefits above local legal requirements, the opportunity to contribute to regional humanitarian situations, and be part of a recognized and respected international humanitarian organization.
How to apply:
If you meet the requirements please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you think you would be suitable for the job. Attach the files in your email using the following naming convention Code MEX1716_Name and last name. Send to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Applications period closes 24:00hrs Sunday, 24th September 2017.