ICRC databases on international humanitarian law
Treaties, States Parties and Commentaries
Treaties and Documents
Geneva Conventions of 1949 and Additional Protocols, and their Commentaries
Historical Treaties and Documents
OAU Convention for the Elimination of Mercenarism in Africa. Libreville, 3rd July 1977.
ARTICLE 9 - EXTRADITION
1. The crimes defined in Article 1
of this Convention, are not covered by national legislation excluding extradition for political offences.
2. A request for extradition shall not be refused unless the requested State undertakes to exercise jurisdiction over the offender in accordance with the provisions of Article 8
3. Where a national is involved in the request for extradition, the requested State shall take proceedings against him for the offence committed if extradition is refused.
4. Where procedings have been initiated in accordance with paragraphs 2 and 3 of this Article, the requested State shall inform the requesting State or any other State member of the OAU interested in the proceedings, of the result thereof.
5. A State shall be deemed interested in the proceedings within the meaning of paragraph 4 of this Article if the offence is linked in any way with its territory or is directed against its interests.