The ICRC Regional Delegation in Beijing seeks to fill the following position:
The Language Specialist helps the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation, revision, proofreading and interpretation services from English to Chinese and vice versa, with a focus on IHL related legal documents.
- Internally, interacts across the organization with all internal "clients" who request language services
- Externally, develops and maintains relationship with a network of scholars and experts, especially those with IHL related legal expertise.
- Work on the translation, revision and proofreading of a wide range of documents and publications, with a focus on IHL related legal documents.
- Provide interpretation support to delegation's activities.
- Contribute to developing the terminology (especially IHL related terminology) used by the ICRC in its public communication.
- Contribute to maintain a good and active relationship between the delegation and IHL scholars and experts in China.
- Contribute to achieving delegation's objectives at the national and international level.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
Translation, Revision, Proofreading and Interpretation (80%)
- Translate, revise and proofread from English to Chinese and vice versa a wide range of ICRC texts, within agreed deadlines, ensuring high quality and appropriate terminology, with a focus on IHL related legal texts.
- Able to deliver publication quality translation and revision on such technical legal pieces as Commentaries to the Geneva Conventions.
- Provide professional interpretation services to ICRC activities.
- Provide IHL related legal counsel to the delegation.
- Advise on sensitivities regarding the use of national language in the delegation.
Management and Coordination (10%)
- Manage legal translation requests, including corresponding with HQ staff via emails or calls
- Manage and maintain legal terminology database and legal freelancers database
- Manage teamspace or other delegation related online resources
- Get involved in ad hoc or ongoing projects (e.g. terminology)
- Use and suggests update to terminology tools
- Proactively develop and collaborate with external legal translators and interpreters when work requires extra resources.
Admin tasks (10%)
- As requested by the unit head, handle administrative matters of the Unit, including payment, filing, reporting, database maintenance etc.
- Carry out editorial assistance tasks when required, i.e. checking on foreign names and location name, document formatting etc.
- University law degree from a reputable institution a must, advanced law degree in international law, specialty in IHL is highly desired
- 3 to 5 years' experience in translation, preferably in an international organization
- Mother tongue in Chinese.
- IT proficiency and knowledge of CAT tools.
- Good people and project management and coordination skills.
- Understand and adhere to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understand and adhere to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understand the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respect and observe staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represent the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develop and maintain a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Perform all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org(specify position name at your email title) Attn: Human Resources Department.
Deadline for applications: 9thOctober 2021
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview