The ICRC Regional Delegation in Beijing seeks to fill the following position:
- Handles International Transport requests efficiently to meet needs in the fields taking care of the costs, transit time, international and local regulations and geopolitical situation.
- In charge to purchase the most relevant transport (by Sea –Onshore and offshore-, Air, Rail, and Road) or organize a combination of different means of Transport, coordinate and follow up from the Request for Quotation to the delivery of good, invoicing process and file archiving.
- Geographical remit: Regional & Global.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Responds efficiently to all shipping requests from headquarters and the fields managing requisition orders for transport, cargo handling and storage of cargo shipments by air, sea, rail and road in line with ICRC and international regulations.
- Purchases logistics services (transport/transit, lifting, handling and transit storage) in line with the ICRC's procedures and financial rules; ensures approvals and records are carried out according to established criteria.
- Respond to requests for advice and assistance on international transport matters from the ICRC Logistics Units within the region.
- Deals with emergency situations and respond to telephone calls related to.
- Requests freight quotations for international air, sea, rail & road freight consignments.
- Selects cost efficient and reliable mode of transportation, including the choice of forwarder, carrier that guarantee a safe and quick transportation.
- Negotiates with shipping companies on rates and special privileges such as extended "free time" on container demurrage at destination.
- Organizes tenders with selected and approved transporters, analyses them and establishes a selection table based on the criteria of cost efficiency, reliability and shortest delivery time.
- Keeps contact with the LSC warehouse, the manufacturer/supplier and the transporter to enable smooth coordination and cargo pick-up.
- Track shipments to ensure they arrive on time and that shipment and delivery processes adhere to any pertinent regulations. Shares information about shipping and receiving activities.
- Ensures that the required documentation is correctly established. Coordinates with the receiving end the sending of the documents and the timely release of the cargo.
- Follows up the invoicing, irregularities, delays and eventual claims in line with the ICRC procedures. Submits files to insurance company.
- Establishes proper shipping files allowing to track back freight and customs issues.
- Ability to review alternative options and select most effective and cost-efficient mode of transport in various contexts and circumstances.
- Establishes weekly progress reports on status of shipments.
- Updates JDE, Profile and other databases (Shipping instructions, Contacts list....)
- Establishes coherent transport files that fulfil the criteria to receive tax returns and to document transport activities.
- Ensures necessary administrative work is implemented on time (P/O procedures, financial forecast on transport, payment of invoices, etc.)
- Knows, applies and complies with all the administrative procedures linked to his/her work (financial time reporting, follow up on freight payments and eventual container deposits and demurrage/detention) keeps the files up to date at all times.
- Prepares the P/O files for transportation and submits them for validation before they are dispatched to LOG_STAT/Manila.
Treatment of information
- Registers and treats information (freight quotations and privileged freight concessions) accurately and confidentially.
- Maintains regular contacts with potential transporter/freight forwarder incl. transport associations and establishes minutes for proper follow-up.
Support to the LSC
- Briefs logistics staff leaving for field assignments, ICRC Logistics' newcomers and Transport Officer 1 about shipping rules and regulations.
Support to the Delegation
- Entertains a constructive dialogue with the client delegations and the LOG_TSP/GVA, informs on the status of consignments.
- Makes a proper follow-up on documentary requirements and on the delivery status of the shipments.
- Participates actively in the internal logistics meeting and informs accurately on the active files.
Support to Delegate in Charge
- Advises on new developments on freight and clearing issues, shares relevant information related to the pricing and eventual freight increases.
- Acts as reference point during delegate's/supervisor's absences in terms of transport and customs issues.
- Presents synthesis of problematic issues succinctly and accurately.
- Maintains a professional and constructive dialogue within the whole Supply Chain actors.
- Liaise with LSCs, Headquarter, fields and other destination delegation. Dialog must be professional and supportive at any time.
- Maintains a professional and constructive dialogue with external interlocutors such as freight forwarder, clearing agents, Customs, governmental bodies and authority involved in transportation (ports, border points, airport)
- Proposes new reliable partners in the field of freight forwarding and transportation for ultimate validations by Regional Transport Manager.
- Keeps always a breast of market developments by gathering information from external sources.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to various interlocutors.
- Adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures, undertake relevant training and development activities and to respond positively to new and alternative systems.
Professional experience and education required:
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
- University degree (in Logistics or Supply chain is a plus) or professional school of similar degree.
- 4 years' work experience in a similar field (Shipping)
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Confirmed capacity to understand and implement procedures.
- Analytical and methodical person.
- Able to work independently.
Standard function description:
- Handles medium to large logistical files independently.
- Implements and runs logistics procedures.
- Negotiates contractual matters with external interlocutors.
Preferred starting date: October 20th, 2023
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, by email only to: BEJ_HR@icrc.org(specify position name at your email title) Attn: Human Resources Department
Deadline for applications: September 4th, 2023
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interview