Location : Beijing
Type of position: Resident
Activity rate : 100%
Estimated start date : April/May 2020
Application deadline : 8 March 2020
The ICRC Regional Delegation for East Asia covers China, DPRK, South Korea, and Mongolia. The delegation's main task is to promote awareness and implementation of international humanitarian law, the legal framework that seeks to minimize human suffering caused by war. The delegation also aims to familiarize governments, experts, national Red Cross societies and civil society with the ICRC's humanitarian work and emergency response around the world.
The Legal Translator helps the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation, revision, proofreading and interpretation services from English to Chinese and vice versa, with a focus on International Humanitarian Law (IHL) related legal documents.
As the Legal Translator, s-he will be responsible for:
Translation, Revision, Proofreading and Interpretation
- Translate, revise and proofread from English to Chinese and vice versa a wide range of ICRC texts, within agreed deadlines, ensuring high quality and appropriate terminology, with a focus on IHL related legal texts.
- Produce the most effective texts possible by building relationships with clients, developing specialist ICRC knowledge and making the best use of resources.
- Able to deliver publication quality translation and revision on such technical legal pieces as Commentaries to the Geneva Conventions.
- Provide professional interpretation services to ICRC activities.
- Provide IHL related legal counsel to the delegation.
- Advise on sensitivities regarding the use of national language in the delegation.
Management and Coordination
- Manage legal translation requests, including corresponding with HQ staff via emails or calls
- Manage and maintain legal terminology database and legal freelancers' database
- Manage related online resources
- Get involved in ad hoc or ongoing projects (e.g. terminology)
- Use and suggest update to terminology tools
- Proactively develop and collaborate with external legal translators and interpreters when work requires extra resources.
Selection requirements and experience
- University law degree from a reputable institution is a must, advanced law degree in international law and specialty in IHL are highly desired
- 3 to 5 years' experience in translation, preferably in an international organization
- Mother tongue in Chinese
- IT proficiency and knowledge of CAT tools.
- Good people skills
- Good project management and coordination skills.
We offer a rewarding and enriching work in a humanitarian and international environment, and also:
- Initial training and on-boarding organised
- Competitive remuneration package and generous social benefits
- Friendly and fair working environment
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, by email only to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications is 8 March 2020.