The Regional Delegation for Mexico and Central America of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is looking for the next member of our team:
LOCATION: Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador or Mexico
WORK UNIT: Health
LINE MANAGER(S): Health Programme Manager
FUNCTIONAL MANAGER(S): PRP GVA / Health Coordination
ICRC projects in Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala are part of a regional effort to guarantee access to adequate rehabilitation services for migrants and victims of violence (VoV). Many of these migrant's travel to the United States in dangerous conditions, suffering serious injuries caused by falling train or violence on their journey. Because of this, many end up with a physical disability due to amputations or spinal injuries. The strategy and approach used in the delegation is to help migrants and VoV to receive rehabilitation in place following international standars of provision of services. After identifying the migrants and VoV who need access to physical rehabilitation services, the ICRC refers them to one of the assisted centres, where it then covers the cost of treatment, transport and accommodation.
Ortho-Prosthetis is responsible to implement the physical rehabilitation plan in accordance with the objectives and strategies, including the follow-up to the direct assistance supported by the ICRC missions (RD). As a technical expert, s/he is responsible for advising all orthotic and prosthetic technicians and providing support in the most complex cases. Uses evidence-based practice to provide clinical evaluations, prescriptions, technical design, and fabrication of orthotic and/or prosthetic devices. He/she is a member of the interdisciplinary rehabilitation team that ensures patient-centred care in ICRC-supported rehabilitation centres, in accordance with international standards. Monitor and supervise the quality of the activities from the field and strengthening persuasion and mobilization strategy for physical rehabilitation access in benefit to people with disabilities (migrants and VoV).
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
- Handles the information related to assistance to beneficiaries from the rehabilitation centres in a confidential manner.
- Support in the capture and filling of the different databases of the program.
- As part of the health team, guarantees and promotes confidentiality and analysis of cases of assistance to beneficiaries.
- Coordinates the correct distribution of information related to the project at the local regional level or at the HQ level.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Focal point to lead the persuasion and mobilization plan with the health FO support (and other departments, such as Migration, Comunication, etc) of each mission, helping to promote long term sustainability.
- Develop (with the health coordination support and other departments) specific plan to persuade and mobilize physical rehabilitation access to People with Disability (migrants and VoV).
- Organize mapping, bilateral meetings, workshops, trainings to facilitate the persuasion and mobilization plan/activities
- Support partner rehabilitation centres in the implementation of (international) guidelines, ensuring quality standards, in collaboration with the directors of the centres, heads of the orthotics and prosthetics departments and the technical and clinical staff involved in the provision of services.
- Collaborate and liaise with all members of the rehabilitation team to ensure an interdisciplinary approach.
- Ensures the implementation of mechanisms for monitoring the quality of the devices
- Monitoring and evaluation of the prosthesis/orthosis devices from the direct beneficiaries
- Reports in the context of physical rehabilitation, needs, programs within the ICRC or external
- Organize specific trainings in order to ensure the quality of the services of the supported centres.
CERTIFICATIONS / EDUCATION REQUIRED
- Degree or diploma in prosthetics/orthotics (ISPO CAT I or equivalent).
- Relevant additional degrees in physical rehabilitation or educational (e.g. mentor) an asset.
- Fluent command of English and/or French; other local language(s) an asset.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Minimum 5 years' working experience as an ortho-prosthetist.
- Minimum international experience, and/or with universities.
- Experience with INGO or the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement a strong asset.
- Proven teaching experience and skills an asset.
HOW TO APPLY TO THE JOB?
Candidates who meet the requirements, please send by email your CV and motivation letter in the same document as a PDF, the name of the attached file must follow the format: (Surname Name).
In the subject of the message, please quote "application Ortho-Prosthetist+ (your full name)"
Send your application to the email address: mex_ReclutamientoMailbox@icrc.org
Deadline to receive applications: 24:00 HRS, 26TH SEPTEMBER 2021.
Please include your salary expectation in your application.
Foreign candidates must hold a valid work permit.