BY-NC-ND / ICRC / A. Paq
Armed conflicts are increasingly fought in population centres, but often with weapon systems that were originally designed for use in open battlefields. When used in populated areas, explosive weapons that have wide-area effects are very likely to have indiscriminate effects. They are a major cause of harm to civilians and of disruption of services essential for their survival.
- What are the weapons of concern and who uses them?
- What is a (densely) populated area?
- What are the humanitarian consequences of the use of explosive weapons in populated areas?
- What does international humanitarian law say about the use of explosive weapons in populated areas?
- Is there a need for new rules to regulate the use of explosive weapons in populated areas?
- Is not the problem that some parties deliberately shield their military operations in populated areas?