On 15 November 2017, the ICRC held an expert panel at the Humanitarium on the need to enhance compliance with international humanitarian law (IHL) during military operations in urban settings. More specifically, the panelists discussed the obligation to take all feasible precautions and its role in avoiding harm to civilians and civilian infrastructure, as well as operational challenges State and non-State armed groups face in fulfilling this obligation. The conference is part of the ICRC's Conference Cycle on War in cities.
- Helen Durham, Director of International Law and Policy, ICRC
- Laurent Gisel, Legal Advisor, ICRC
- Blaise Cathcart, QC, Major-General (ret.), Judge Advocate General, Canadian Armed Forces
- Katherine Kramer, Acting Advisor on Explosive Weapons, Geneva Call
- Adebayo Kareem, Head of Protection, Human Rights & Gender, AMISOM