Karabakh - On the ground with the ICRC one month on
ICRC teams continue to respond to the many needs across the region, following the escalation of hostilities which began on 19 September.
- No effort is being spared as teams work tirelessly across city centre locations and mountain villages, searching for signs of life and anyone who may need help. A small number of people remain in their homes, either by choice or because they were unable to leave by themselves. Some receive medical help or food and water. Others request assistance in contacting loved ones or securing transport to leave.ICRC
- Kamo Hayrapetyan is currently living in an empty shopping centre and is being assisted by the ICRC. “They come to visit us, checking how we are doing and even brought humanitarian aid in boxes. There are many things inside, including butter and bread. They help how they can."ICRC
- Sadly the body of an elderly lady was found by the ICRC team which was looking for her. It’s believed she died from natural causes. The dignified treatment of those who have died remains a key priority, with staff working closely with loved ones to provide support. The ICRC was able to transport the remains of 220 people who died, both due to the recent escalation but also during the fuel depot blast which occurred on 25 September.ICRC
- An ICRC team was approached by a man, Aharon Ghazaryan (left) who lives with his 92-year-old father in a very remote mountain community. He was not aware that so many people had fled the region as he has been without electricity for several weeks, with no access to TV or radio. "Thank God that you came, we saw you, and got information about what is going on right now.”ICRC
- Back together again. Friends reunited in Goris, Armenia after another ICRC-facilitated evacuation. Families have also been separated and need support to find and keep in touch with one another. We have received over 2,500 individual visits and phone calls at our offices in the region from families searching for their loved ones and willing to get information.ICRC