Profession: advisor, movement policies
20-11-2012 Job Opportunity Ref. hq-adv-mov-pol
Activity Rate: 80%
The Advisor is ICRC's expert on the development of Movement policies that promote principled humanitarian action. S/he analyses trends in the changing humanitarian and Movement landscape and makes proposals as to where the revision of existing or development of new Movement policies would bring added value for operations.
S/he supports Cooperation substantive file holders on the development of resolutions or other initiatives for adoption or discussion at the Movement's statutory meetings, the Council of Delegates (CoD) and International Conference (IC), in consultation with the International Federation (International Federation) and National Societies.
The Advisor is a key member of the Cooperation and Coordination Division's unit responsible for the thematic development of Movement coordination, National Society Capacity building and preparation and follow-up to the Movement's statutory meetings (Council of Delegates (CoD) next in 2013, International Conference (IC), next in 2015.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Maintain an overview of adopted and evolving ICRC and International Federation institutional policies as well as Movement resolutions and policies adopted at the CoD and IC
- Analyse and summarise evolving trends in the Movement environment, in consultation, in particular with MOUV thematic and operations Heads; with the Division for Multilateral organisations, policies and humanitarian action (MOPHA) and Federation counterparts
- Elaborate Movement policy recommendations that promote working in accordance with the Fundamental Principles
- Guide ICRC's substance file holders on developing relevant CoD/IC resolutions texts, including in the areas of coordination within the Movement and with humanitarian actors outside the Movement; Safer Access; capacity building and other Cooperation areas
- Movement Advisor for the Humanitarian Principles initiative led by the Division for Multilateral organisations, policies and humanitarian action (MOPHA)
- MOUV focal point for the Fundamental Principles including the proposed initiative exploring the practical application of the Principles during the 2013 CoD
- Support the overall preparation and follow-up for the Movement's statutory and ad hoc meetings as required.
- Previous work with the ICRC, the International Federation, or a National Society at a senior level, including representation
- Solid experience of policy development for the ICRC, the International Federation or a National Society, or another humanitarian organisation
Profile and skills required
- Pronounced interest in promoting a strong ICRC working within a strong Movement
- Strong communication and excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated capacity to influence peers and motivate colleagues
- Confirmed negotiation and brokering skills in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Excellent spoken and written spoken English and working knowledge of French. Additional languages (e.g. Spanish, Arabic) an asset
- Highly organised, solution orientated approach to work, project management skills preferred.
Length of assignment: 2 years
- Starting date: January 2013
Deadline: 20 December 2012