Internship: in the Division for Cooperation and Coordination within the Movement
04-04-2013 Job Opportunity
The Division for Cooperation and Coordination within the Movement (DC/MOUV) of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offers a paid traineeship for a period of one year. The traineeship will begin in April 2013.
DC/MOUV (hereafter the Division) is responsible for ensuring and developing ICRC's policies and activities in the field of cooperation and coordination within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (the Movement). In particular, the Division serves as a centre of expertise for the ICRC's operational cooperation, its programs to develop the capacities of National Societies, and the ICRC's field coordination with other components of the Movement.
Purpose of position
Under the supervision of the DC_MOUV's legal adviser, provide support to the Division in such fields as strengthening National Society (NS) legal base (Statutes and NS law), NS recognition, use of the emblems, integrity and Fundamental Principles.
- provide support to the analysis of existing and draft NS Statutes and/or laws, preparation of messages and support documentation on NS legal base; support to the work and meetings of the Joint Statutes Commission;
- provide support to the maintenance and upgrade of Division files on NS legal base (Statutes and NS laws), emblems and integrity issues, including search for NS laws through internal and external sources;
- provide technical assistance on emblem issues to NS and ICRC delegations;
- provide support to the promotion of the ICRC Study on Operational, Commercial and other Non-operational Issues Involving the Use of the Emblems and its conclusions;
- contribute to the drafting of model NS internal regulations (e.g. on the use of the emblem);
- conduct research on assigned topics on NS legal base, recognition of NS, integrity and Fundamental Principles, use of the emblem, using Division resources, ICRC archives, available databases and external sources such as internet as available and relevant;
- participate in Division and thematic meetings as requested;
- prepare draft and final meeting reports, support documents, and other draft documents as required for internal Division reference as well as requests from delegations;
- liaise as requested with internal units and external Movement members, International Federation and National Societies;
- provide translation support as required (English, French, other languages welcome);
- any other task required to meet Division needs.
Reporting and supervision
- position holder will be supervised by the Legal Adviser of the Division;
- priorities will be assessed and determined regularly;
- task reporting will be through the Division responsible for the file.
- Excellent knowledge of international humanitarian law;
- A Master's degree in a relevant field (e.g. international law, international relations…);
- An excellent command of both French and English (fluency in one and very good working knowledge of the other). You will be expected to be able to converse and write notes in both languages;
- A demonstrated interest in humanitarian action, the ICRC and the other components of the Movement.
- Excellent command of Spanish, Arabic or other additional languages;
- Prior experience with a component of the Movement (National Society, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies or the ICRC).
Recruited trainee will be offered a 12-month contract. The position is based in Geneva and remunerated.
In your cover letter, you are invited to express your motivation for applying and the relevant skills you possess.
Deadline for the receipt of applications is 15 April 2013.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews. Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews may be conducted by phone.