Books and reviews: Recent publications
30-06-1996 Article, International Review of the Red Cross, No. 312
Annual Report 1995 , by the International Committee of the Red Cross, Geneva, 1996, 346 pp.
The Annual Report gives a full account of the ICRC's operational activities in 1995 and of its work to promote international humanitarian law, including the 26th International Conference of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent. The reader will also find useful information of a general nature on the ICRC.
World Disaster Report 1996 , by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Oxford University Press, 1996, 178 pp.
Launched in 1993, the World Disaster Report is an annual, global and interdisciplinary publication focusing on all aspects of disaster cause and effect, and the growing millions of people affected by catastrophes ranging from flood and famine to war and economic collapse. The publication is intended to meet the needs of all those involved in disaster relief, from policy makers to relief workers.
The World Disaster Report 1996 comprises the following main chapters: Key issues, Methodologies, The year in disasters 1995, Disasters database, and Red Cross and Red Crescent.
Pauline Samuelson (ed.), I owe my life ... / British Red Cross -Celebrating 125 years , Bloomsbury, London, 1995, 214 pp.
A description of, and at the same time a tribute to, th e varied work of the British Red Cross, by different authors.
William Maley (ed.), Shelters from the storm: developments in international humanitarian law , Australian Defence Studies Center, Canberra, 1995, 360 pp.
From 12 to 14 December 1994, the Australian Red Cross and the Australian Defence Studies Centre hosted in Canberra the Second Regional Conference on International Humanitarian Law. The book contains the papers presented at the conference, together with selected commentaries, under the following headings: The significance of international humanitarian law, The dissemination and implementation of international humanitarian law, The regulation and protection of peacekeeping forces, Non-combatants in war, Enforcement of humanitarian law, The Asia-Pacific region, and Prospects and conclusions.
Contemporary international law issues: conflicts and convergence , W.P. Heere (ed.), T.M.C. Asser Instituut, The Hague, 1996, 454 pp.
Proceedings of the Third Joint Conference held in The Hague from 13 to 15 July 1995 by The American Society of International Law and the Nederlandse Vereniging voor Internationaal Recht.
The following chapters deal specifically with issues related to international humanitarian law:
- Humanitarian law in civil war and the right to humanitarian assistance, reports by J.C. Concolato, H.P. Gasser, J. de Milliano, and D. Shelton.
- The judging of war criminals: individual responsibility and jurisdiction (R. Goldstone, A. Cassese, P. Kooijmans).
Revue de droit militaire et de droit de la guerre/The Military Law and Law of War Review , XXXIV 1-2-3-4, 1995, 412 pp.
The following contributions deal with issues relevant to international humanitarian law:
- T. Sverdrup Engelschion, Ethiopia -War crimes and violations of human rights,
- W.J. Fenrick, In the field with UNCOE -Investigating atrocities in the territory of former Yugoslavia,
- H.S. Levie, The law of war since 1949,
- H. McCoubrey, Medical ethics, negligence and the battlefield,
- G. Mazzi, L'abolizione della pena di morte nelle leggi militari di guerra,
- P. Rowe, Liability for " War Crimes " during a non-international armed conflict.
American Journal of International Law , Vol. 90, Nos. 1 and 2, 1996
The following contributions deal with issues relating to international humanitarian law:
- G.H. Aldrich, Jurisdiction of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia No. 1, January 1996),
- M. Leigh, The Yugoslav Tribunal: use of unnamed witnesses against accused (No. 2, April 1996),
- T. Meron, The continuing role of custom in the formation of international humanitarian law (No. 2, April 1996).
Revue générale de droit international public , Tome 100, No. 1, 1996
- M. Sassòli, La première décision de la chambre d'appel du tribunal pénal international pour l'ex-Yougoslavie: Tadic (compétence)
Humanitäres Völkerrecht - Informationsschriften ( HuV-I ), ed. by Deutsches Rotes Kreuz and Institut für Friedenssicherungsrecht und Humanitäres Völkerrecht (IFHV), Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Nr. 1, 1996
Among the various articles we mention the following:
- C. Emmanueli, The protection afforded to humanitarian assistance personnel under the Convention on the Safety of United Nations and Associated Personnel
- K. Holderbaum, Humanitäre Hilfe als nationale und internationale Herausforderung
- M. Kuhn, Aktuelle Entwicklungen zum Schutz der Umwelt in bewaffneten Konflikten: " Guidelines for military manuals and instructions on the protection of the environment in times of armed conflict " .
Kriegsvölkerrecht/The Law of War/Droit des gens en temps de guerre/Diritto internazionale bellico , CD-ROM produced by the Swiss Federal Department of Defence, in cooperation with the ICRC, 1996. Distributed (except for Switzerland) by ICRC, Public Information Division, 19 Avenue de la Paix, CH-1202 Geneva, Switzerland. Other language versions in preparation.
This new computer-assisted teaching aid explains to soldiers the basic rules they must observe in wartime. Its table of contents includes the following key topics: War and humanity, Rules of warfare, Treatment of prisoners of war, Protection of the civilian population, and International distinctive signs. The CD-ROM also gives a brief description of the ICRC. A test is provided to check the user's knowledge.