Facts and figures
30-04-2010 Facts and Figures
- The man whose vision led to the ICRC's creation, Henry Dunant, became the joint first recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1901.
- Dunant's plea after the battle of Solferino in 1859 brought about the adoption of the Geneva Convention and the creation of Red Cross / Red Crescent societies.
- The ICRC has been active for the victims of most major conflicts since 1863, from classical conflicts to civil wars, guerrilla campaigns to the "War on Terror".
- From helping wounded soldiers, the ICRC's mission has grown to cover all aspects of humanitarian work in conflicts.
- The ICRC works to reunite families separated by conflict and disaster and establish the fate of those who are missing.