The 21st International Committee of the Red Cross Essay Competition for East African Universities
Critically analyse and discuss the challenges posed by the convergence of climate change, environmental degradation, and armed conflict, as well as the international humanitarian law rules, policies, and practical measures that could address these challenges.
- The competition is open to all undergraduate students from East African universities.
- Essays must be typed, properly referenced, structured, and a bibliography provided.
- Essays must not exceed 4000 words (including the footnotes but excluding the bibliography).
- Any essay found to have been plagiarized will be disqualified from the competition.
- The essay and a copy of the student's identification card must be received at the ICRC Regional Delegation in Nairobi by 30 June 2023 by email (nai_IHLmailbox@icrc.org).
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- The winner of the competition will receive a cash prize. There will also be awards for the first and second runners-up well as for the best essay from each participating country not represented in the top 3 winners.
Participants will be assessed on their logical arguments, the depth to which they develop their answers, structure, and, demonstrated knowledge of the subject matter. Each of the criteria will be awarded points as below:
|Critical thinking |
|Structure, referencing, |
and evidence of research
|Best Essay||CHF 450|
|Second Best Essay||CHF 350|
|Third Best Essay||CHF 200|
|Best Country Paper||CHF 100|
For further information please contact:
International Committee of the Red Cross
Communication Department, Nairobi Regional Delegation
Denis Pritt Road, P.O Box 73226 - 00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 20 2723963