Emergency Room Specialist
10-02-2015 Job Opportunity Ref. fd-emerg-room-spec
Purpose of the function
The emergency room specialist, as part of an ICRC hospital team, ensures medical and surgical emergencies are properly and timely treated and the weapon wounded according to the principles established by the ICRC.
The emergency room specialist is involved in independent or assisted ICRC hospital structures in often scarce/limited resources and in challenging security environments. He/she participates to the organization and management of the emergency department, with local health stakeholders. The Emergency room specialist will be the clinical referent for all activities in the emergency department of the hospital.
- Organizes and manages the hospital emergency department while ensuring the medical team training.
- Ensures triage of patients in order to receive appropriate care in due time
- Provides emergency treatments and coordinates the patients follow up with the required specialists.
- Participates, as a major player, in the implementation of the contingency emergency plan in case of a major influx of wounded.
- Coordinates efficiently all the activities of the emergency department with the ICRC hospital team and the local health stakeholders.
- Identifies additional needs to ensure complementary clinical training.
- Degree in medicine with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in this field of activity
- Registered doctor with a valid license to practice in his/her own country of origin
- Significant experience in emergency medicine in a trauma setting.
- Good communication skills, capacity to manage and work within a team.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity.
- Positive, flexible and able to adapt him/herself to harsh living conditions and/or unstable security environment.
- Excellent French and/or English, verbal and written communication skills.
- Driving license for manual transmission vehicle with practice.
- English or French as a second language, with good verbal and written communication skills.
- ATLS, ALS or MIMMS certification
- Previous International humanitarian and/or development experience in low income countries (NGO’s, IO or charity organization)
- Previous experience(s) within the Red Cross & Red Crescent movement
- Assignment: 3 months minimum, preferably longer. Non-family posting.
PLEASE APPLY ON OUR WEBSITE