Facts and figures, January - August 2013
04-10-2013 Facts and Figures
Distributed emergency supplies to almost 19,000 people affected by violence and armed conflict in the north of Nigeria, with the help of Nigerian Red Cross Society staff and volunteers.
Provided safe drinking water for over 5,500 people displaced by inter-communal clashes and improved access to clean water in five health facilities, serving some 5,200 people in Kaduna and Plateau States.
Visited people held by the police in connection with the armed conflict or violence in Abuja, Asaba, Kano, Jos, Maiduguri, Port Harcourt and Yenagoa, to monitor their treatment and conditions of detention.
International humanitarian law
- Briefed more than 1,000 police officers on humanitarian rules applicable in law enforcement.
- Promoted international humanitarian law to more than 9,000 military personnel.
- Trained more than 1,300 community members in first aid so they can respond to any outbreaks of violence.
- Trained 400 Nigerian Red Cross volunteers in the management of dead bodies.
- Trained over 70 Nigerian surgeons and other health professionals from 13 states in the treatment of people wounded by weapons.