Preparatory documents on Geneva Conventions now available online
Two years after the ICRC started its project to update the Commentaries on the Geneva Conventions, readers can now access individual preparatory documents online. These texts provide a deeper understanding of the Conventions themselves.
As part of the project to update the Commentaries on the Geneva Conventions, the ICRC library's priority has been to ensure digital access to documents preparatory to the Geneva Conventions. This work covers the following:
- the Diplomatic Conference of 1929;
- the International Red Cross Conferences in Tokyo (1934) and London (1938);
- preparatory documents drawn up by the National Societies in 1946, and by government experts in 1947;
- the International Red Cross Conference held in Stockholm in 1948;
- the Diplomatic Conference of 1949.
The documents can now be found in the ICRC library’s catalogue.
More on the Preparatory documents on Geneva Conventions